Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMIF - counting across different spreadsheets

I'm starting a new thread, as I'm not sure if people have seen my reply
in the old thread - please let me know if this is a problem!

New day - new problem!

My manager has now asked for a SUMIF summary to be on a separate
spreadsheet (so that she can look at it along with other summaries)

Unfortunately, using this formula:
=SUMIF('S:\Internal\Sales Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07
Spreadsheet.xls]Activity'!$A$3:$A$1001,1,'S:\Internal\Sales
Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07 Spreadsheet.xls]Activity'!$C$3:$C$1127)

just brings up a #Value! unless the spreadsheet it is linking to is
open. If the linked to spreadsheet is opened, then closed, then I get
the figures untill I close the summary spreadsheet. Then, when I reopen
the summary spreadsheet, and click on Update (which I would need to if
any of the other sections that this spreadsheet links to had been
updated), I get #Value! again.

I can't see why this doesn't work when the more simple formulae (eg a
straight ='S:\Internal\Sales Figures\2006-2007\[ES 06-07
Spreadsheet.xls]Summary'!$B$21) do. :( What am I doing wrong?

--
JoFo
JoFo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36481

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=sumif() doesn't work with closed workbooks.

You could write it as =sum(if(...))
(and enter as an array formula)

But you can't use the whole column.

And I'm confused about what range you're checking with: $1:$65536

=sumproduct() can work with closed workbooks, too:

=sumproduct(--(thatlongstring...!$a$3:$a$1001=1),
(thatlongstring...!$b$1:$c$1001))

Adjust the ranges to match--but you can't use whole columns.

=sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff changes trues and falses
to 1's and 0's.

Bob Phillips explains =sumproduct() in much more detail he

And J.E. McGimpsey has some notes at:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/doubleneg.html

========
Ps. Watch your ranges--they didn't match!

$A$3:$A$1001
$C$3:$C$1127

Not sure which should be used.

JoFo wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks - I'll take a look at those links. (poor brain isn't working very
well with this heat...)

The ranges don't match because I did a scroll down when selecting them
- we are not anticipating getting to 1000 visits or quotes over the
year!

I have a feeling that the only way I can do this (as I have to be able
to look at the whole column) is to use the sumif within the individual
workbooks, and then do an = across to the summary spreadsheet.

--
JoFo
JoFo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36481
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=562786

How to use SUMIF to return sums between two values located in cells ScottBerger Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 23rd 23 09:05 PM
More problems linking spreadsheets dgg9879 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 April 19th 06 01:00 PM
Sumif of Sumif perhaps? Fred Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 March 29th 06 05:39 PM
SUMIF Ferg Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 28th 06 03:37 AM
counting the number of printed spreadsheets James Westh Excel Worksheet Functions 1 September 2nd 05 06:20 AM