Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default NOW() and SECOND() not refreshing

I assumed that NOW() in a cell (say A1) would produce a constantly
changing field, so if formatted as hh:mm:ss it would show the time
changing.
Similarly if I enter SECOND(A1) in another cell it should show the
seconds constantly counting up from 0 to 59, over and over.

What happens is that values appear in the fields but they don't change
unless I refresh the screen manually in one way or another.
I have Calculation set to Automatic.

A friend does the same thing and his times are constantly changing but
we can't see what the difference is between our settings.

Any suggestions please ? I'm trying to develop something which needs
the time to be changing and can't even get to first base !
Thanks in advance
tgmjf

--
tgmjf
tgmjf's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36507

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi!

Just a partial answer.......

Those functions are working properly. They will only update when a
calculation is triggered.

If you want a real time clock that will require some VBA code.

Biff

"tgmjf" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Biff !
I guess my friend must have something else calculating - maybe a loop
or a counter or something.
Anyway at least I know they shouldn't work unless another calc
happens.
Thanks again
tgmjf