Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open file in this document? (Word)

This question applies more to Microsoft Word, but maybe
the procedure is the same for Excel too.

Suppose one document is open in Word. If you click on
File-Open and open a new file, is it possible to have that
new file be opened WITHIN the current document? In
other words, inside the new document at the top of the
already opened document?

Or, do I need to string together a bunch of copy and
paste macros to insert another document into my
already opened document?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open file in this document? (typo fixed)

My previous post had a typo. I meant, "insert"....
as seen below.

"Robert Crandal" wrote:

This question applies more to Microsoft Word, but maybe
the procedure is the same for Excel too.

Suppose one document is open in Word. If you click on
File-Open and open a new file, is it possible to have that
new file be opened WITHIN the current document? In
other words, "insert" the new document at the top of the

^^^^^
already opened document?

Or, do I need to string together a bunch of copy and
paste macros to insert another document into my
already opened document?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This question applies more to Microsoft Word, but maybe
the procedure is the same for Excel too.

Suppose one document is open in Word. If you click on
File-Open and open a new file, is it possible to have that
new file be opened WITHIN the current document? In
other words, inside the new document at the top of the
already opened document?

Or, do I need to string together a bunch of copy and
paste macros to insert another document into my
already opened document?

I suspect you should be able to read one file into a variable OR copy
it to the clipboard, then set the insertion point in the target
document and 'Paste'! I don't see why this can't be automated.

Optionally, you could open the target file in Libre Writer, insert a
blank row at the top, then use *Insert File...* to place the contents
of the selected file at the insertion point. When done, save the file,
close it, and re-open in Word.

Note that I've only done this with inserting txt file contents in a
Word document for the purpose of 'building' pre-defined text strings as
numbered paragraphs.

Quickly testing 2 Word docs before replying suggests it works fine!
Caveat is that inserted Word docs are *appended* to the end of the
active doc. This means inserting the target file after the other file.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

Am Tue, 12 May 2015 11:04:43 -0700 schrieb Robert Crandal:

Suppose one document is open in Word. If you click on
File-Open and open a new file, is it possible to have that
new file be opened WITHIN the current document? In
other words, inside the new document at the top of the
already opened document?

minimize your window and drag the expected word file out of the explorer
at the start of your opened file. Choose Copy or Move.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

Am Tue, 12 May 2015 11:04:43 -0700 schrieb Robert Crandal:

Suppose one document is open in Word. If you click on
File-Open and open a new file, is it possible to have that
new file be opened WITHIN the current document? In
other words, inside the new document at the top of the
already opened document?

minimize your window and drag the expected word file out of the
explorer at the start of your opened file. Choose Copy or Move.

Regards
Claus B.

Nice! But embeds as an object, not prepended text. Not sure that's the
desired result here!<g