Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro to generate powerpoint slides

note that the Hyperlinks work only while a slide show presentation is running —
not while you're working on your presentation in normal view or slide sorter view

isabelle

Le 2014-08-27 22:13, isabelle a écrit :
hi,

Le 2014-08-27 13:38, Marty Girvan a écrit :
I am already on it. :) We are close, but missing a open hyperlink function
of some sort.

Sub appPPT()
Dim oPPT As PowerPoint.Application
Dim oPres As PowerPoint.Presentation
Dim oSlide As PowerPoint.Slide
Dim oShape As PowerPoint.Shape

Set oPPT = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
Set oPres = oPPT.Presentations.Add(msoTrue)
Set oSlide = oPres.Slides.Add(1, ppLayoutBlank)
Set oShape = oSlide.Shapes.AddTextbox(msoTextOrientationHorizon tal, 10, 10, 256,
28)

With oShape.TextFrame.TextRange
.Text = "http//www.google.com"
.ActionSettings(ppMouseClick).Hyperlink.Address = "http://www.google.com/"
End With

oPPT.Visible = msoTrue
End Sub

isabelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My apologies as I have been in a training till now. I am going to integrate your code, Gary and Isabella. I am excited to try it. Thanks. I'll post my results.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Isabella,

Thank you for the code and reply. Looking a the code, I think it misses the idea of automating the hyperlinks opening automatically from a excel file.. If I understand your code correctly, then I would need to add all 150 links to the code. Let me know if this is what you are referring to. Thanks again.

Marty
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi Marty,

do you want add to your presentation a link to view the excel file that contains
file links (pptx)

With oShape.TextFrame.TextRange
.Text = "PPTX Links Address"
With .ActionSettings(ppMouseClick).Hyperlink
.Address = "C:\Users\isabelle\PPTX Links Address.xlsm"
.SubAddress = "Sheet2!A1"
End With
End With

or do you want add these links directly in your presentation (150 textbox)

isabelle

Le 2014-08-29 19:57, Marty Girvan a écrit :

Isabella,

Thank you for the code and reply. Looking a the code, I think it misses the idea of automating the hyperlinks opening automatically from a excel file.
If I understand your code correctly, then I would need to add all 150 links to

the code. Let me know if this is what you are referring to. Thanks again.

Marty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Isabelle,

I have a excel file with 150 hyperlinks (A1:A150). Each hyperlink points to a single PowerPoint slide. Each slide is in a different folder on different servers. These files ate updated daily by engineers. I need to find a way to open them all and have them automatically build a presentation with all 150 slides so that I can present it on a weekly basis. If you read through all the above posts. There is more detailed info as to how we are trying to build this VBA code. Thanks again for taking the time to problem solve and help create. Its fun.

Marty

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I was able to get both the excel code to work and the PowerPoint code to work. However, I found that if a link is missing or broken the code will only show the slides till the broken/missing link. We need something that will check all the links first and highlight the ones that ate broken, then maybe a text box that asks to compile and generate the presentation. This way you can fix the links first (highlighted) and then compile.

Here is the code I currently use to check the links.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Isabelle,

I have a excel file with 150 hyperlinks (A1:A150). Each hyperlink
points to a single PowerPoint slide. Each slide is in a different
folder on different servers. These files ate updated daily by
engineers. I need to find a way to open them all and have them
automatically build a presentation with all 150 slides so that I can
present it on a weekly basis. If you read through all the above
posts. There is more detailed info as to how we are trying to build
this VBA code. Thanks again for taking the time to problem solve and
help create. Its fun.

Marty

The code samples I posted do *exactly* what you want both from Excel
and PPT if your list items point to UNC paths...

(ie: "//server/share/folder/file".

The code shows various ways to open all the files in a list stored in a
spreadsheet, text file, or individual folders.

The hardest part for me was not having any experience using PPT! (I can
make same presentations in Excel<g, so no need to learn a different
software IMO! Same goes for Word!) But after you posted the download
link to sample files things just quickly 'fell together'!

What it does not do is download the fikes from the internet. That's
easy to do in VB[A], however, by just setting some references to the
necessary system DLLs to get it done.

You are (typically) piece-mealing us bits of your task requirements 'as
you go' and so 'it goes' that eventually things will come together once
all (or nearly all) of the requirements are known. For example.., the
samples' list hyperlinks to files stored locally, NOT across multiple
servers. None of my code requires 'hyperlinks' because it accesses
files directly via fully qualified paths. Download URLs aren't
hyperlinks either, ..they're just location paths to the files.

IMO, persisting to go on and on about trying to work with hyperlinks is
a deterring distraction away from getting a speady solution. The code
you posted for checking if a path/file is valid is normal practice for
accessing files. (Not to mention there's better ways to do it as well!)

Give us 'the goods, the whole goods, and nuthin' but the goods' and
we'll do our best to get you a good working solution!!!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Garry,

Thanks again. I am back from Vaca and working on this again. No internet where I was at. Anyhow, I am still playing with the process and code and will update again tomorrow with some more info. I may send you my working folder if I can find the time and you can see where I am at. Thanks again. Cheers.