Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Get a color name from any RGB combination?

I stumbled across this nice one:
http://gauth.fr/2011/09/get-a-color-...b-combination/

Very neat indeed :-)
But made in JavaScript, which I know virtual nothing about...

I was wondering, if anyone has made something similar in VBA?
Can it be done?
How?

CE

---
Denne e-mail er fri for virus og malware fordi avast! Antivirus beskyttelse er aktiveret.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I stumbled across this nice one:
http://gauth.fr/2011/09/get-a-color-...b-combination/

Very neat indeed :-)

Yes.., quite impressive to say the least!
But made in JavaScript, which I know virtual nothing about...

I was wondering, if anyone has made something similar in VBA?

Don't know, but maybe Karl Peterson has something you can modify to do
similar.

Can it be done?
How?

Simplest approach:
Parse the file "dataset.js" into columns and use a lookup function to
return a name based on user input. (I'd probably have it work both
ways, meaning user can optionally enter a name and return the RGB
value!)

I see that this file is one continuous string and so may need to be
edited so you can use Split() for each color name value. As is.., you
can parse each piece of color data using "}," as a delimiter to load
your initial array.

After that each element is a comma delimited set of property:value
pairs where you can Split() each part into a temp array, then split
again into a 2nd temp array using ":" as the delimiter. (you only need
to extract the UBound value of this 2nd array)

Once you get there you can decide how to put the table into a
worksheet. I'd probably build an output 2D array in memory, then 'dump'
that into the worksheet (OR a delimited file where I can search for my
RGB values, OR just store the data so it's easily retrievable into a
workable array at runtime)!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I see that this file is one continuous string and so may need to be
edited so you can use Split() for each color name value.

I was referring to the fact the entire string is enclosed in "[]" and
so these should be removed before you Split() the file contents into an
array. You can do so after you copy/paste the file from the website
into a text editor, OR use Replace() to remove them programatically.
Since the contents paste with the carat after the trailing "]" I'd just
backspace it out, Ctrl+Home, delete the leading "[", then save the
file.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charlotte, try this on the dataset.js file 'as is'...

Option Explicit

Sub ConvertColorData()
Dim vTextIn, v1, v2, vTextOut, sTmp$
Dim n&, k&, i&
sTmp = ReadTextFile("C:\Users\Garry\Documents\VBA_Stuff\d ataset.js")
'Replace "}," with "|" as the line delimiter
sTmp = Replace(sTmp, "},", "|")
'Filter out unwanted characters
vTextIn = Split(FilterString(sTmp, ",:|"), "|")
'Store the data in a normal csv file
WriteTextFile Join(vTextIn, vbLf), _
"C:\Users\Garry\Documents\VBA_Stuff\dataset.tx t"

ReDim vTextOut(1 To UBound(vTextIn) + 1, 1 To 4)
For n = LBound(vTextIn) To UBound(vTextIn)
v1 = Split(vTextIn(n), ",")
For k = LBound(v1) To UBound(v1)
v2 = Split(v1(k), ":")
vTextOut(n + 1, k + 1) = v2(1)
Next 'k
Next 'n
Cells(1, 1).Resize(UBound(vTextOut), UBound(vTextOut, 2)) = vTextOut
End Sub

Function ReadTextFile$(Filename$)
' Reads large amounts of data from a text file in one single step.
Dim iNum As Integer
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
iNum = FreeFile(): Open Filename For Input As #iNum
ReadTextFile = Space$(LOF(iNum))
ReadTextFile = Input(LOF(iNum), iNum)

ErrHandler:
Close #iNum: If Err Then Err.Raise Err.Number, , Err.Description
End Function 'ReadTextFile()

Function FilterString$(ByVal TextIn As String, _
Optional IncludeChars As String, _
Optional IncludeLetters As Boolean = True, _
Optional IncludeNumbers As Boolean = True)
' Filters out all unwanted characters in a string.
' Arguments: TextIn The string being filtered.
' IncludeChars [Optional] Keeps any characters.
' IncludeLetters [Optional] Keeps any letters.
' IncludeNumbers [Optional] Keeps any numbers.
'
' Returns: String containing only the wanted characters.

Const sSource As String = "FilterString()"

'The basic characters to always keep
Const sLetters As String = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
Const sNumbers As String = "0123456789"

Dim i As Long, CharsToKeep As String

CharsToKeep = IncludeChars
If IncludeLetters Then _
CharsToKeep = CharsToKeep & sLetters & UCase(sLetters)
If IncludeNumbers Then CharsToKeep = CharsToKeep & sNumbers

For i = 1 To Len(TextIn)
If InStr(CharsToKeep, Mid$(TextIn, i, 1)) Then _
FilterString = FilterString & Mid$(TextIn, i, 1)
Next
End Function 'FilterString()

Sub WriteTextFile(TextOut$, Filename$, Optional AppendMode As Boolean =
False)
' Reusable procedure that Writes/Overwrites or Appends
' large amounts of data to a Text file in one single step.
' **Does not create a blank line at the end of the file**
Dim iNum As Integer
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
iNum = FreeFile()
If AppendMode Then
Open Filename For Append As #iNum: Print #iNum, vbCrLf & TextOut;
Else
Open Filename For Output As #iNum: Print #iNum, TextOut;
End If

ErrHandler:
Close #iNum: If Err Then Err.Raise Err.Number, , Err.Description
End Sub 'WriteTextFile()

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Replace this

vTextIn = Split(FilterString(sTmp, ",:|"), "|")

with this

vTextIn = Split(FilterString(sTmp, "," & ":" & "|"), "|")

if your reader shows the ":|" part as a smiley!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A better parse to dataset.txt:

Sub ConvertColorData()
Dim vTextIn, v1, v2, vTextOut, sTmp$
Dim n&, k&, i&
sTmp = ReadTextFile("C:\Users\Garry\Documents\VBA_Stuff\d ataset.js")
'Replace "}," with "|" as the line delimiter
sTmp = Replace(sTmp, "},", "|")
'Filter out unwanted characters
vTextIn = Split(FilterString(sTmp, "|,:"), "|")

ReDim vTextOut(1 To UBound(vTextIn) + 1, 1 To 4)
For n = LBound(vTextIn) To UBound(vTextIn)
v1 = Split(vTextIn(n), ",")
For k = LBound(v1) To UBound(v1)
v2 = Split(v1(k), ":")
vTextOut(n + 1, k + 1) = v2(1)
Next 'k
vTextIn(n) = Join(Application.Index(vTextOut, n + 1, 0), ",")
Next 'n

'Store the data in a normal csv file
WriteTextFile Join(vTextIn, vbLf),
"C:\Users\Garry\Documents\VBA_Stuff\dataset.tx t"

'Create lookup table
Cells(1, 1).Resize(UBound(vTextOut), UBound(vTextOut, 2)) = vTextOut

Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here's a userform I threw together that shows how to use "dataset.txt"

https://app.box.com/s/23yqum8auvzx17h04u4f

Note that the file doesn't contain every possible RGB combination, and
so there's opportunity to add your own names. If interested, I can
import the parsed file into a worksheet and edit the values, then
export it a a csv.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Typos...

Here's a userform I threw together that shows how to use
"dataset.txt"

https://app.box.com/s/23yqum8auvzx17h04u4f

Note that the file doesn't contain every possible RGB combination,

and so there's opportunity to add your own names. If interested, you
can import the parsed file into a worksheet and edit the values, then

export it as a csv.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here's a userform I threw together that shows how to use
"dataset.txt"

https://app.box.com/s/23yqum8auvzx17h04u4f

Note that the file doesn't contain every possible RGB combination,
and so there's opportunity to add your own names. If interested, I
can import the parsed file into a worksheet and edit the values, then
export it a a csv.

After some thought (and a good night's sleep), I believe the userform
can be easily modified to 'Add' new names and RGB combos to the
"dataset.txt" file so it never actually needs to be loaded into a
worksheet.

I'm not sure what (if any) practical use this has other than say
designing custom paint colors, but it has captured my interest enough
that I started a XLS project named "ColorNameManager" which I will
provide a download link to when it's done to my satisfaction. This will
include a zip file containing the original "dataset.js" file and the
above named workbook in XLS format...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Charlotte E." wrote in message
I stumbled across this nice one:
http://gauth.fr/2011/09/get-a-color-...b-combination/

Very neat indeed :-)
But made in JavaScript, which I know virtual nothing about...

I was wondering, if anyone has made something similar in VBA?
Can it be done?
How?

I did but it was a long time ago. At the time I couldn't find any examples
had despite extensive searching. Originally it was VBA but I put it in a VB6
ComAddin, a colour match tool as a small feature of a much larger range of
colour related stuff for Excel. Briefly this is "how" to go about it.

First you need a swatch of defined and optionally "named" RGB colours to
match against, your example seems to be using this list of named and defined
colours -

http://gauth.fr/2011/09/get-a-color-...b-combination/

But there are others, not least the well known swatch (1100+ colours) from a
certain print ink producer, or say the 140 named html colours.

The hard bit is to define a virtual "colour space" that reflects the very
different way the human eye perceives colour differences vs the actual RGB
differences. Eg the eye perceives green as occupying a much larger relative
space than its neighbour in the spectrum cyan. There are various example
spaces out there but replicating them is difficult. I gave up and devised my
own colour space as a semi regular 3D space, complex but regular enough to
be defined with an algorithm.

Then map all the colours in the list in the space with XYZ coordinates from
a given reference point, and similar with the RGB you want to match. Finally
the simple bit, calculate all the 3d distances of your colour to match to
each of the mapped swatch colours. The best match is the one with the
shortest distance in the space, though in a large swatch a good idea to
return and rank a few other close matches and let your own eye judge the
best. And that's all there is to it!

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

Hi Peter,

What purpose is a "virtual color space"? What purpose does the "xyz"
assignments serve?

VB's RGB() function only requires the 3 RGB values, and so I don't get
the need for all the extra 'fluff' if using that function to
define/name colors derived from RGB values. Am I missing something?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Hi Peter,

What purpose is a "virtual color space"? What purpose does the "xyz"
assignments serve?

VB's RGB() function only requires the 3 RGB values, and so I don't get the
need for all the extra 'fluff' if using that function to define/name
colors derived from RGB values. Am I missing something?

Hi Garry,

You can't imagine how effort much went into developing what I described and
you call fluff <g.
But actually you're right, or rather we both are, it depends. With a
relatively small number of well separated colours to match against a simple
RGB 'distance' comparison is probably fine, and (from a quick look) that's
what the JavaScript example is based on. However for closer matching,
particularly with a larger number of less different colours, a colour space
that reflects the way the human eye differentiates colours is a better
albeit more complicated approach.

Try this to replicate the JavaScript demo: copy the whole page I referred to
last time to Sheet1. Clear the top two rows and you should have three
columns of colours with their definitions. Run the following to split names
& web-hex colours into cols A & B (I ended up with #100c08 in B4)

Sub abc()
Dim pos As Long
Dim rng As Range, c As Range
Set rng = Range("a2:a690")
For Each c In rng
If Len(c) Then
pos = InStrRev(c, "#")
If pos Then
c.Offset(0, 1) = Mid(c, pos, 7)
c = Left(c, pos - 1)
Next
End Sub

The following makes 100 random colours and returns the best "linear" match
for each

Sub test_match()
Dim rx&, gx&, bx&, clrX&
Dim ra&, ga&, ba&, clrA&
Dim dist As Double, minDist As Double
Dim lBestMatch As Long, rBestCell As Range
Dim sHex As String
Dim c1 As Range, c2 As Range
Dim cClr2Match As Range

For Each c1 In Range("f3:f102")
clrA = Int(Rnd() * vbWhite)
c1.Value = clrA
c1.Interior.Color = clrA
getRGB clrA, ra, ga, ba

minDist = vbWhite
For Each c2 In Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("b2:B690")
sHex = c2
If Len(sHex) Then
If Left(sHex, 1) = "#" Then
getRGBfromHEX sHex, clrX, rx, gx, bx
dist = ((ra - rx) ^ 2 + (ga - gx) ^ 2 + (ba - bx) ^ 2) ^
0.5
If dist < minDist Then
minDist = dist
lBestMatch = clrX
Set rBestCell = c2
Next
With c1.Offset(, 1)
.Value = rBestCell & " " & lBestMatch
.Interior.Color = lBestMatch
End With
Next
End Sub

When done should see a list of 100 random colours in col-F and the best
matched in col-G.

FWIW there's a lot more to colour than meets the eye!

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Way to go, Gary, and thank you so much for your effort :-)

I can't wait to see what you come up with :-)

I tried to download your userForm, but couldn't import it, since it seem to
be missing a .FMX file???

I'm currently working on a solution myself, so it'll be interesting to
compare :-)

Regards,

CE

"GS" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for providing more detail!

Your project sounds like it was worth the effort you put into it for
its intended purpose. I feel, though, that this goes far beyond
Charlotte's request and so is why I trimmed out 'the fluff'!<g

FWIW there's a lot more to colour than meets the eye!

I totally agree!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry about the userform issue. You could open the file in a text
editor and just copy/paste the code part into an empty userform code
window.

(The 'frx' file is a binary component of the same userform) The 'frm'
file is a VBA component exported as any other so I'm not understanding
why you can't just 'Import...' it into a project.

I decided there's no value to include the original dataset.js file
since it won't be used by the project once the txt file is created.
That means I'll include the txt file and XLS. Note that they must be
stored in the same folder because refs to the txt file are
'ThisWorkbook.Path'!

I'll post a link to the project later today (hopefully). Aside from
having the same ability to display color and name (if one exists) for
entered RGB values, it will also have the ability to
'Add/Remove/Rename'. If you want any other features included before I
finish it please post.

How it works: (In case you copy/paste the code)
RGB values and their respective names are stored in a plain text file.

Userform:
Loads data into a module-scope variant in its 'Initialize' event;
Caption: "Color Name Manager";

Controls:
3 textboxes (txtR, txtG, txtB) for entering RGB values;
3 labels (Red, Green, Blue) for the above textboxes;

1 textbox (txtColorName) for displaying/entering names;
1 label (Color Name) for the above textbox;

1 label (lblColor) for displaying the color as its 'BackColor';

Buttons:
Show Name
Displays the name of the RGB values entered.
If name doesn't exist, displays "Name Not Found" and prompts to
add a new name.
New Name
Remove (to be added)
Rename (to be added)
Done

These are managed as context-sensitive items via 'SetButtonState',
so you can only take appropriate actions.

The data is managed via editing the array during runtime;
The txt file is updated whenever a change in data occurs;

If you try adding a new name to existing RGB values you are prompted to
rename Yes/No.

If you try adding an existing name to non-existing RGB values you are
notified of this and prompted to change its RGB values Yes/No.

If you try to remove a name you are asked to confirm the action Yes/No.

Pressing the 'Escape' key unloads the userform.

I'm considering displaying the txt file contents in a listbox instead
of a worksheet. This will change the userform slightly to show 'pages'
for "RGB" and "Data" so you can view all existing data within the
userform instead of having to scroll a worksheet. If I go with this,
the listbox page will also have full editing capability. It occurs to
me, though, that I should build 3 userforms and let you choose which
one to go with...

Userform1: as described with the controls previously mentioned;
Userform2: listbox style with full editing capability;
Userform3: a 2-page that contains both versions;

...unless you post your preference before I finish!

<FWIW
I'm not a fan of textbox-based data forms (generally speaking) and so I
already have a listbox format I use for my projects. IMO, this is the
better way to go because it's less confusing to the user as to what's
being done exactly (or what/how to do an action). (I also have a
datagrid version and a ListView version that have non-scrolling header
rows, but these require the OCXs being shipped/registered on the host
machine and so aren't an option for a VBA project) I use 2 multi-column
listboxes; 1 for field headings and 1 for data. Editing of selected
data is done via textboxes. Selecting a name in the list will display
its color same as described earlier.

I'm inclined to use the color name as the primary key in the list,
followed by its respective RGB values. This makes sorting the list much
easier. (Names are easier to find in a sorted list)

Normally (to keep it simple) I'd use 1 column for names and 1 column
for the RGB values as a comma delimited list. The RGBs can have
separate columns if desired (please advise), but that means adding 2
more textboxes for editing (which is no problem).

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

After a bit more thought I've decided to go with only the listbox
version. (You already have the info for the textbox version) This will
include separate columns for the RGB values so extra coding isn't
required for the RGB() function when displaying color. Also, the text
file is renamed "colornames.dat" and is sorted ascending!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Thanks for providing more detail!

Your project sounds like it was worth the effort you put into it for its
intended purpose. I feel, though, that this goes far beyond Charlotte's
request and so is why I trimmed out 'the fluff'!<g

Yeah I got carried away with the 'proper' way to do it when the simple way
is probably good enough.

Not sure if you tried the example I posted but if you find any differences
in matches with the JavaScript demo it's because it matches against about
100 additional colours not in the list I referred to.

As for 'it's intended purpose', it's main features worked with the old 56
colour palette in I think novel ways but when 2007 arrived...!

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Thanks for providing more detail!

Your project sounds like it was worth the effort you put into it
for its intended purpose. I feel, though, that this goes far beyond
Charlotte's request and so is why I trimmed out 'the fluff'!<g

Yeah I got carried away with the 'proper' way to do it when the
simple way is probably good enough.

Nothing wrong with that, my friend! Happens to me more often than not,
and so usually concludes with much code housekeeping.

I was initially thinking to put together a 'quick-n-dirty' solution
before you posted here. After reading your comments I decided that
this, like every other project worth doing, is worth doing well.
Problem arose when I couldn't find my listbox dataform sample and so
had to start from scratch. The data context isn't as important as the
structure that manages the data, which I already had in place at one
time. Seems I discarded it in favour of using a listview or my
Spread.ocx component I got from Farpoint (back when Farpoint was!)

Point of it is that neither of those controls can be used after Vista
without installing/registering them, and the latter requires a
developer license. No problem for VB6 apps because I use a manifest and
so they run reg-free. I can do run Excel apps reg-free only for DLLs
via 'LoadLibrary', but that doesn't work for OCXs!

Not sure if you tried the example I posted but if you find any
differences in matches with the JavaScript demo it's because it
matches against about 100 additional colours not in the list I
referred to.

Haven't used the API yet, nor your example. It's pretty clear what it
does and how it works, though, just reading it through.

I plan to make a wrapper that simply returns the info (or custom
Err.Description).

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

Point of it is that neither of those controls can be used after Vista
without installing/registering them, and the latter requires a developer
license. No problem for VB6 apps because I use a manifest and so they run
reg-free. I can do run Excel apps reg-free only for DLLs via
'LoadLibrary', but that doesn't work for OCXs!

AIUI even in XP still had to register but the difference since Vista is the
UAC must be turned off or permission given. Can be done manually, or via cmd
(without turning off the UAC), or with an installer subject to the user
accepting the prompt that appears. I've never looked into RegFree and
manifest, always meant to! However even Regfree won't help with Office
64bit, right?

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is to roll your
own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about adapting that one day.

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

Point of it is that neither of those controls can be used after
Vista without installing/registering them, and the latter requires
a developer license. No problem for VB6 apps because I use a
manifest and so they run reg-free. I can do run Excel apps reg-free
only for DLLs via 'LoadLibrary', but that doesn't work for OCXs!

AIUI even in XP still had to register but the difference since Vista
is the UAC must be turned off or permission given. Can be done
manually, or via cmd (without turning off the UAC), or with an
installer subject to the user accepting the prompt that appears. I've
never looked into RegFree and manifest, always meant to! However even
Regfree won't help with Office 64bit, right?

Not for OCXs, but DLLs should still be possible so long as
'LoadLibrary' is available!

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is to
roll your own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about adapting
that one day.

It takes a bit more code to implement, but still requires its library
to be registered. This is why I did my initial listbox-based dataform
way back before UAC days and dropped support for mscomctl.ocx. I see,
though, that similar libs ship as DLLs in recent versions of Windows
and so may be worth re-exploring use of the listview!!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Point of it is that neither of those controls can be used after Vista
without installing/registering them, and the latter requires a developer
license. No problem for VB6 apps because I use a manifest and so they
run reg-free. I can do run Excel apps reg-free only for DLLs via
'LoadLibrary', but that doesn't work for OCXs!

AIUI even in XP still had to register but the difference since Vista is
the UAC must be turned off or permission given. Can be done manually, or
via cmd (without turning off the UAC), or with an installer subject to
the user accepting the prompt that appears. I've never looked into
RegFree and manifest, always meant to! However even Regfree won't help
with Office 64bit, right?

Not for OCXs, but DLLs should still be possible so long as 'LoadLibrary'
is available!

There is a ptrSafe version of LoadLibrary. So are you saying with RegFree
you can use a VB6 aX dll in Office 64 and call it from VBA, as a ComAddin
too?

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is to roll
your own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about adapting that one
day.

It takes a bit more code to implement, but still requires its library to
be registered. This is why I did my initial listbox-based dataform way
back before UAC days and dropped support for mscomctl.ocx. I see, though,
that similar libs ship as DLLs in recent versions of Windows and so may be
worth re-exploring use of the listview!!

FWIW the mscomctl treeview has been adapted to VBA, can also use that for a
simple listview that's used for the only reason you can include add an icon
to the item.

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure about that because I expect the DLL needs to be x64. I don't
have MSO x64 installed and so can't say. Perhaps you can ask Rob Bovey
about this.

Also, Olaf Schmidt provided the reg-free stuff for VBA and so you can
ask him about MSO x64 in the classic VB forums. Note that this would be
'OT'!

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is to
roll your own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about adapting
that one day.

It takes a bit more code to implement, but still requires its
library to be registered. This is why I did my initial
listbox-based dataform way back before UAC days and dropped support
for mscomctl.ocx. I see, though, that similar libs ship as DLLs in
recent versions of Windows and so may be worth re-exploring use of
the listview!!

FWIW the mscomctl treeview has been adapted to VBA, can also use that
for a simple listview that's used for the only reason you can include
add an icon to the item.

Yes, I've seen that project but not tried it. I don't see how a
treeview can also be used as a listview (or am I misunderstanding you),
but I can do similar as both with my Spread.ocx. Again, though, it
needs to be registered and so is not an option for VBA projects that
need to be reg-free. (My apps are 100% portable and so MUST be
reg-free) Otherwise, I have no issue installing/registering
mscomctl.ocx. (I do plan to investigate using the newer DLL reg-free,
though!)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

snip
I've never looked into RegFree and manifest, always meant to! However
even Regfree won't help with Office 64bit, right?

Not for OCXs, but DLLs should still be possible so long as 'LoadLibrary'
is available!

There is a ptrSafe version of LoadLibrary. So are you saying with RegFree
you can use a VB6 aX dll in Office 64 and call it from VBA, as a ComAddin
too?

Not sure about that because I expect the DLL needs to be x64. I don't have
MSO x64 installed and so can't say. Perhaps you can ask Rob Bovey about
this.

But can't compile a dll as 64bit, 32bit only. It's not Win64 that's the
problem but Office64.

Also, Olaf Schmidt provided the reg-free stuff for VBA and so you can ask
him about MSO x64 in the classic VB forums. Note that this would be 'OT'!

Well not OT over there I assume! But I guess this is getting OT here
already.

Seems for VBA the only solution for the old favourite ocx's is to roll
your own. You mentioned listview, was thinking about adapting that one
day.

snip
for mscomctl.ocx. I see, though, that similar libs ship as DLLs in
recent versions of Windows and so may be worth re-exploring use of the
listview!!

FWIW the mscomctl treeview has been adapted to VBA, can also use that for
a simple listview that's used for the only reason you can include add an
icon to the item.

Yes, I've seen that project but not tried it.

Perhaps you might find the demo file that acts as an extended 'Project
Explorer' handy!

I don't see how a treeview can also be used as a listview (or am I
misunderstanding you), but I can do similar as both with my Spread.ocx.

If the listview only contains a single column it has the same appearance and
in effect functionality as a treeview that has multiple root nodes but no
branches. Only reason to use a listview in such a case is for it's
capability to add icons to items, as can do with a treeview.

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

snip
I've never looked into RegFree and manifest, always meant to!
However even Regfree won't help with Office 64bit, right?

Not for OCXs, but DLLs should still be possible so long as
'LoadLibrary' is available!

There is a ptrSafe version of LoadLibrary. So are you saying with
RegFree you can use a VB6 aX dll in Office 64 and call it from
VBA, as a ComAddin too?

Not sure about that because I expect the DLL needs to be x64. I
don't have MSO x64 installed and so can't say. Perhaps you can ask
Rob Bovey about this.

But can't compile a dll as 64bit, 32bit only. It's not Win64 that's
the problem but Office64.

MSOx64 uses VBA7 for both 32/64 bit versions. This is not an issue!

MSOx64 needs x64 DLLs AFAIK! That excludes using VB6 DLLs all
together!!

Also, Olaf Schmidt provided the reg-free stuff for VBA and so you
can ask him about MSO x64 in the classic VB forums. Note that this
would be 'OT'!

Well not OT over there I assume! But I guess this is getting OT here
already.

Absolutely!

[...]

Ah! So it's the other way around; using listview as a treeview! I don't
think the icon factor makes this worth the trouble for displaying data
in a VBA userform.

Please have a look at my listbox-based example when I'm done with it.
Though Charlotte's usage only includes 4 fields of data, it can handle
as many fields as a listbox max ColumnCount. This should be more than
ample for a database solution that's flat-table text file based, and
uses standard VB file I/O functions. IMO, that's as simple as it gets
for working with smaller amounts of data. If it does grow large it can
be easily 'dumped' into a SQLite db file and worked with via ADODB.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
If the listview only contains a single column it has the same appearance
and in effect functionality as a treeview that has multiple root nodes
but no branches. Only reason to use a listview in such a case is for it's
capability to add icons to items, as can do with a treeview.

Ah! So it's the other way around; using listview as a treeview! I don't
think the icon factor makes this worth the trouble for displaying data in
a VBA userform.

No, use a treeview to resemble a listview, albeit for the limited purpose I
described (and can't use aX/ocx controls)

Please have a look at my listbox-based example when I'm done with it.
Though Charlotte's usage only includes 4 fields of data, it can handle as
many fields as a listbox max ColumnCount. This should be more than ample
for a database solution that's flat-table text file based, and uses
standard VB file I/O functions. IMO, that's as simple as it gets for
working with smaller amounts of data. If it does grow large it can be
easily 'dumped' into a SQLite db file and worked with via ADODB.

Can you point me to where it is (or again if as I assume it's linked
somewhere in this long thread!)

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
[...]

I'll be posting a download link (in this thread) for Charlotte *when
I'm done with it*! (As I said, I couldn't find my original project so
I'm redoing it from scratch)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wow, I'd really started something here, haven't I? :-)

Really looking forward to your solution...
....the solution I'm trying to implement is to look up the individual RGB
values, within the function itself - not 'smart' or pretty, but it is as
fast as my skills will take me :-)

Thanks for all your inputs ans suggestions.

CE

"GS" wrote in message ...
"GS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What's important is that your solutions meets your needs!

Since I don't have a need for this, I decided to make a generic utility
named "Color Name Manager" that has the following features:

allows you to add, edit, remove, and rename color name data;
uses a comma delimited text file as its data storage;
manages data with standard VB file I/O functions and arrays;
is dialog based;
creates its own menuitem;
has task specific context management for user action controls;
has a simple help system;
finds RGB values for a given name;
finds (existing) names for RGB values;

It's an XLS with its 'IsAddin' property set True so it's hidden when
open, but could be saved as XLA if desired. On first startup it
notifies user of menuitem location in both early/late versions. Also,
the VBA project (2 userforms, 2 modules) is accessible for modifying.

I still have the Rename feature to finish plus write the Help text.
Sorry it's taking longer than initially expected, but I seem to have
discarded my initial listbox based data form sample and so had to start
from scratch!<g I'll keep pluging away at it between other obligations
so it gets done sooner than later, and 'off my plate' for now. Perhaps
we can swap projects<g?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
What's important is that your solutions meets your needs!

Since I don't have a need for this, I decided to make a generic utility
named "Color Name Manager" that has the following features:

allows you to add, edit, remove, and rename color name data;
uses a comma delimited text file as its data storage;
manages data with standard VB file I/O functions and arrays;
is dialog based;
creates its own menuitem;
has task specific context management for user action controls;
has a simple help system;
finds RGB values for a given name;
finds (existing) names for RGB values;

Wow, all that for a simple colour match algorithm, and you said I added too
much fluff! <vbg

Charlotte, if all you want to do is get the name of the colour that best
matches your RGB see the example I included in my second post in this
thread. It does exactly that using a simple "linear" calculation and
replicates the javascript demo you referred to. It should be straightforward
to adapt to your requirements.

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wow, all that for a simple colour match algorithm, and you said I
added too much fluff! <vbg

It's not a simple colour match algorithm!
The development of this utility was inspired by your explanation of the
time/effort you put into your project!

There's no 'fluff' in my project; it just reflects its name in terms of
features which fit what the name implies. It's being released as a
'finished product' and so requires the effort necessary to that, IMO!
It also writes the data to a worksheet named range and so can be used
in a lookup formula if desired.

What do you think a "Color Name *Manager*" utility should do?<g

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just curious, Peter, about where you are located having used this
spelling...

colour

...as I'm located in eastern Ontario, Canada but I use/speak enUS!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Wow, all that for a simple colour match algorithm, and you said I added
too much fluff! <vbg

It's not a simple colour match algorithm!

Sorry I misunderstood, read it as all intended as a solution for Charlotte's

What do you think a "Color Name *Manager*" utility should do?<g

There's no simple answer because it depends on peoples' objectives, and with
colour match would probably be diverse. But like anything as a minimum a
means to input and store data, input the query, process, and output, all
with a suitable UI.

There could be more than one list of colours, typically they range from as
few as 40 to 1000+ colours. Maybe provide links to samples.

A sheet is ideal for colours because you can store all the various
attributes (RGB, Hex, HSL, name, etc) in cells and display each colour (in
2003 coloured shapes as cells can only display 56 colours). Or for display
only could also show each colour in a form in a variety of ways and retrieve
from elsewhere.

Input the colour to match, consider how, or maybe a coloured pixel 'picked'
from the screen.

Output the matched colour, its name and specs, to the form, perhaps to the
clipboard too.

As I mentioned my old app included a colour match utility as a small feature
of a much larger range of colour related stuff.

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Just curious, Peter, about where you are located having used this
spelling...

colour

..as I'm located in eastern Ontario, Canada but I use/speak enUS!

UK, ie English-English!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Just curious, Peter, about where you are located having used this
spelling...

colour

..as I'm located in eastern Ontario, Canada but I use/speak enUS!

UK, ie English-English!

Nice! How do you like living in the midst of all that UK history?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There's no simple answer because it depends on peoples' objectives,
and with colour match would probably be diverse. But like anything as
a minimum a means to input and store data, input the query, process,
and output, all with a suitable UI.

And so is why I'm putting all the effort into it as a finished product!

There could be more than one list of colours, typically they range
from as few as 40 to 1000+ colours. Maybe provide links to samples.

A sheet is ideal for colours because you can store all the various
attributes (RGB, Hex, HSL, name, etc) in cells and display each
colour (in 2003 coloured shapes as cells can only display 56
colours). Or for display only could also show each colour in a form
in a variety of ways and retrieve from elsewhere.

It's just displaying RGB as BackColor of a label. The code verifies if
a new entry (or edited listitem) already has the RGB values OR name
entered.

I found this was a needed feature since Charlotte's link color names
list has, for example, both "Aqua" and "Cyan" with the same RGB values.
Thus I've 'removed' "Cyan" for now since it's a standard color. (the
list should only have non-standard names to start with, IMO, leaving
inclusions up to the end user)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

I found this was a needed feature since Charlotte's link color names list
has, for example, both "Aqua" and "Cyan" with the same RGB values. Thus
I've 'removed' "Cyan" for now since it's a standard color. (the list
should only have non-standard names to start with, IMO, leaving inclusions
up to the end user)

Why only non standard names, isn't that for the user to decide. If there are
duplicates maybe return both, eg return "Aqua = Cyan". Indeed it's not
unusual for colour lists to include 2+ names that refer to the same RGB, and
in the case of this list there are are many duplicates besides cyan.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

Nice! How do you like living in the midst of all that UK history?

Old!

Only kidding, I appreciate having a sense of history around. Not always
though, I arrived once in one particular country in the middle of troubles
and asked a local to explain the background, and was told "need to go back
3500 years and work forwards to begin to understand..." it took a long time!
(too OT for here)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

I found this was a needed feature since Charlotte's link color
names list has, for example, both "Aqua" and "Cyan" with the same
RGB values. Thus I've 'removed' "Cyan" for now since it's a
standard color. (the list should only have non-standard names to
start with, IMO, leaving inclusions up to the end user)

Why only non standard names, isn't that for the user to decide. If
there are duplicates maybe return both, eg return "Aqua = Cyan".
Indeed it's not unusual for colour lists to include 2+ names that
refer to the same RGB, and in the case of this list there are are
many duplicates besides cyan.

As you say, it's up to the user to decide. I'm talking about the
initial startup list I provide with the utility. *I prefer* to not
include standard colors already in the standard palette. Thus users can
add them if they want them included in the db, and/or
edit/remove/rename existing colors to their liking! The intent is to
supply a 'starter list' only. (I'm just treating it as 'dummy
data'!<g)

The reason is that we all see the standard colors differently, so how
Red appears to me doesn't necessarily match how it appears to you.
Custom named RGB values are already how that respective color appears
someone else, not necessarily how it appears to the user of this
utility(IMO).

I haven't deliberately looked for other duplicates because that's not
on my agenda. This I'm leaving up to the user! If a matching name
and/or RGB is encountered the user is notified and prompted for how
they want to handle their input values when adding/editing data.