Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Determine a computer's fingerprint?

Can a computer's fingerprint be determined when an Excel file is opened and its value be reflected in Sheet1, cell A1? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Can a computer's fingerprint be determined when an Excel file is opened and
its value be reflected in Sheet1, cell A1? Thanks.

Define "computer fingerprint", please! If you mean a unique identifier
of the motherboard then obtaining this is a simple task. Please
elaborate, though, so the correct code can be provided...

--
Garry

Free uenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

Can a computer's fingerprint be determined when an Excel file is opened
and its value be reflected in Sheet1, cell A1? Thanks.

Define "computer fingerprint", please! If you mean a unique identifier
of the motherboard then obtaining this is a simple task. Please
elaborate, though, so the correct code can be provided...

That's what came to mind -- that, or perhaps the serial number(s) of the
processor(s).

I hope Michael elaborates just so we know what the hell he's talking about.

--
Sorry, the ninja-monkey task force had to be let go.
They did too much monkeying and not enough ninja-ing.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Fingerprint???

Do you mean the serial number of the motherboard or the CPU? The MAC
address? The IP address?

What are you talking about???

CE

Can a computer's fingerprint be determined when an Excel file is opened and its value be reflected in Sheet1, cell A1? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

Can a computer's fingerprint be determined when an Excel file is opened
and its value be reflected in Sheet1, cell A1? Thanks.

Define "computer fingerprint", please! If you mean a unique identifier
of the motherboard then obtaining this is a simple task. Please
elaborate, though, so the correct code can be provided...

That's what came to mind -- that, or perhaps the serial number(s) of the
processor(s).

I hope Michael elaborates just so we know what the hell he's talking about.

IMO, the BIOS serial# is a good choice so long as the machine isn't a
clone. If it is a clone then there's likely no BIOS serial# and so we
need to get creative. My licensing methodology uses a hash of the app's
unique SeatID to arrive at what I call a 'unique' MachineID when
there's no BIOS serial#. For USB storage device installs I use
PNPDeviceID instead of BIOS serial#, and handle empty values the same
way!

--
Garry

Free uenet access at http://www.eternal-september.org
Classic VB Users Regroup
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am looking for any unique means of determining a computer's identification so that when a computer opens a particular Excel file I have, its ID will be logged. Whether by mother board, processor, or something else, I am not particular, as long as the user can be identified and its identification posted in Sheet1 and A1. I hope that clarifies. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi,

from Erlandsen Data Consulting,

Public Declare Function GetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias
"GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long
Public user As String

Private Sub info()
'Range("A1") = ReturnDommainUserName & ReturnUserName
user = ReturnDommainUserName & ReturnUserName
End Sub 'thank you Erlandsen Data Consulting

Function ReturnDommainUserName() As String
' returns the NT Domain User Name
Dim rString As String * 255, sLen As Long, tString As String
tString = ""
On Error Resume Next
sLen = GetUserName(rString, 255)
sLen = InStr(1, rString, Chr(0))
If sLen 0 Then
tString = Left(rString, sLen - 1)
Else
tString = rString
End If
On Error GoTo 0
ReturnDommainUserName = UCase(Trim(tString))
End Function 'merci à Erlandsen Data Consulting

Function ReturnUserName() As String
ReturnUserName = Application.UserName
End Function

isabelle

Le 2013-08-15 21:52, a écrit :
I am looking for any unique means of determining a computer's identification so that when a computer opens a particular Excel file

I have, its ID will be logged. Whether by mother board, processor, or
something else,

I am not particular, as long as the user can be identified and its
identification posted in Sheet1 and A1. I hope that clarifies. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

another way,

Sub test()
'http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3551055/getting-computer-name-using-vba
MsgBox ComputerName & " - " & UserName
End Sub

Public Function ComputerName() As String
Dim objNetwork As Object
Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
ComputerName = objNetwork.ComputerName
Set objNetwork = Nothing
End Function

Public Function UserName(Optional WithDomain As Boolean = False) As String
Dim objNetwork As Object
Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
If WithDomain Then
UserName = objNetwork.UserDomain & "\" & objNetwork.UserName
Else
UserName = objNetwork.UserName
End If
Set objNetwork = Nothing
End Function

isabelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Can a computer's fingerprint be determined when an Excel file is opened and its value be reflected in Sheet1, cell A1? Thanks.

My suggestion would be to obtain the serial number of the CPU and the
serial number of the harddrive.

The chances of the same combination of those two on more than one system
is virtual non-exsisting - and, perhaps include the name of the computer
and/or user, as some others have suggested in this thread.

You can find nicely layed-out User-Defined Functions for obtaining all
these information (and many more) at:

http://www.EXCELGAARD.dk/Lib/System%...mation%20UDFs/

....including a downloadable workbook containing all of it :-)

CE

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Isabelle and Charlotte. I will be putting your input to the test shortly and I will post the results as soon as they are in. Thank you much for your time.