Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Correct process for creating a linear trend line in Excel

There has been some debate in COLA as to the correct way to create a
linear trendline in Excel. Someone in the forum kindly made a video to
show what he thought was the correct method
http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/Lin...neCreation.mov

A couple of other people in the group say that the video skips a
number of steps but when I look at the directions from Microsoft I do
not see any they could be referring to.

Does anyone see any missing steps for the creation of a linear trend
line? I admit this is a bit over my head so any input would be welcome.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Onion Knight wrote:

There has been some debate in COLA as to the correct way to create a
linear trendline in Excel. Someone in the forum kindly made a video to
show what he thought was the correct method
http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/Lin...neCreation.mov

A couple of other people in the group say that the video skips a
number of steps but when I look at the directions from Microsoft I do
not see any they could be referring to.

Does anyone see any missing steps for the creation of a linear trend
line? I admit this is a bit over my head so any input would be welcome.

Give it up, Snit Glasser.

Nobody here believes that "Onion Knight" is anything but a sock
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.misc

show what he thought was the correct methodhttp://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/LinearTrendLineCreation.mov

A couple of other people in the group say that the video skips a
number of steps but when I look at the directions from Microsoft I do
not see any they could be referring to.

Does anyone see any missing steps for the creation of a linear trend
line? I admit this is a bit over my head so any input would be welcome.

Thank you to all who responded. The answer is now clear and Snit made
his trend lines correctly. They showed an increase in Linux usage in
2011 and a decrease in 2012. CC has now admitted his process was so
****ed up he could not even see the change in the trend and thought
the data was at flaw when it was his own process.
Posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.apps.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,comp.apps.spreadsheets,microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 6/18/12 9:29 PM, in article
, "Onion
Knight" wrote:

[...]

Exactly correct: cc ending up claiming the data he asked us to use was wrong
and admitted he missed the trends I was able to show. He incorrectly
thought that his ability to get a higher R^2 value somehow proved that some
of the data points were wrong... he could not accept that the trend changed,
even though it was easy to see it did:

Second half of 2011 - clearly trending up:
<http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/LinuxTrend2011-2ndhalf.png

First half of 2012 - clearly trending down:
<http://tmp.gallopinginsanity.com/LinuxTrendLine2012.jpg

cc screwed up his analysis and missed this... though he was also
inconsistent with his claims about this:

cc #1:
-----
It will be 1%. Same as it ever was.
-----
cc #2:
-----
Linux has been on a significant downward trend since then.
-----
And if you look at January and then look at now, then there
is a downward trend.
-----

It is not possible for both of his claims to be correct, of course.

--
The indisputable facts about that absurd debate: <http://goo.gl/2337P
cc being proved wrong about his stats BS: <http://goo.gl/1aYrP