Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Custom function for vlookup

I have a master file which I regularly use to get data by way of vlookup.
Each time I use vlookup, i have to open the master file and type the formula.

Is there a short way to get the data without typing full vlookup formula?

I thought one option as custom function.
Is there any other option?
I am doing it may be 80-90times a day, so a shortcut will save lots of time.

Pl guide.

Regards,
Madiya
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:13:05 AM UTC-5, Madiya wrote:
I have a master file which I regularly use to get data by way of vlookup.
Each time I use vlookup, i have to open the master file and type the formula.

Is there a short way to get the data without typing full vlookup formula?

I thought one option as custom function.
Is there any other option?
I am doing it may be 80-90times a day, so a shortcut will save lots of time.

Pl guide.

Regards,
Madiya

A bit more detail would be helpful. If the formlula is in the master file and is looking up in a slave file then wouldn't the master file be open??? You may send your file with a slave to dguillett1 @gmail.com if desired.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:43:05 PM UTC+5:30, Madiya wrote:
I have a master file which I regularly use to get data by way of vlookup.
Each time I use vlookup, i have to open the master file and type the formula.

Is there a short way to get the data without typing full vlookup formula?

I thought one option as custom function.
Is there any other option?
I am doing it may be 80-90times a day, so a shortcut will save lots of time.

Pl guide.

Regards,
Madiya

Write a custom function in a module in the personal.xlsb file. You can access it from the VB editor. Your function should access your master workbook.. For that you will have to store that in a particular location. Next time you open some file then this custom function will be available to you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don,
Thanks a ton.
I am sending my both xl files to you on mail with same subject as this post.

Regards,
Madiya

On Saturday, 12 May 2012 15:43:05 UTC+5:30, Madiya wrote:
I have a master file which I regularly use to get data by way of vlookup.
Each time I use vlookup, i have to open the master file and type the formula.

Is there a short way to get the data without typing full vlookup formula?

I thought one option as custom function.
Is there any other option?
I am doing it may be 80-90times a day, so a shortcut will save lots of time.

Pl guide.

Regards,
Madiya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don,
Thanks a ton.
I am sending my xl file in mail to you with same subject as this post.

Regards,
Madiya

On Saturday, 12 May 2012 18:00:46 UTC+5:30, Don Guillett wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mail was sent to dguillett1 without " and"
Now again sent to dguillett
without " now"

Hope you will get it now.

Regards,
Madiya.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes. sent without spaces.
Is there any other way to provide you both the files?

Regards,
Madiya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:13:05 AM UTC-5, Madiya wrote:
I have a master file which I regularly use to get data by way of vlookup.
Each time I use vlookup, i have to open the master file and type the formula.

Is there a short way to get the data without typing full vlookup formula?

I thought one option as custom function.
Is there any other option?
I am doing it may be 80-90times a day, so a shortcut will save lots of time.

Pl guide.

Regards,
Madiya

This is my email address

On Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:13:05 AM UTC-5, Madiya wrote:
I have a master file which I regularly use to get data by way of vlookup.
Each time I use vlookup, i have to open the master file and type the formula.

Is there a short way to get the data without typing full vlookup formula?

I thought one option as custom function.
Is there any other option?
I am doing it may be 80-90times a day, so a shortcut will save lots of time.

Pl guide.

Regards,
Madiya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming