Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Determine name of macro contained in each excel file in a folder

I have a folder that contains several excel files, each excel file
contains a single macro.

Is it possible from a macro in another excel file to programmatically
determine the name of the macro in each of the files in the folder?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

See Chip Pearson's site for programming the VBE.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/VBE.aspx

Specifically "Listing all procedures in a Module"

Gord

On Sat, 5 May 2012 12:57:41 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

I have a folder that contains several excel files, each excel file
contains a single macro.

Is it possible from a macro in another excel file to programmatically
determine the name of the macro in each of the files in the folder?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gord,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I was actually on that site earlier and saw that info but I can't get
it to work. I get the error:

User Defined Type not defined

Chip's method is clearly beyond my current level of VBA ability, I'm
probably not understanding some fine point of how VBA works.

In any case I was looking for something I could comprehend :-)

wrote:

I have a folder that contains several excel files, each excel file
contains a single macro.

Is it possible from a macro in another excel file to programmatically
determine the name of the macro in each of the files in the folder?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi John,

did you added a réf. for Microsoft Visual Basic For Applications Extensibility 5.3

================================================== ================================================== ============
•First, you need to set an reference to the VBA Extensibililty library.
The library contains the definitions of the objects that make up the VBProject.
In the VBA editor, go the the Tools menu and choose References.
In that dialog, scroll down to and check the entry for Microsoft Visual Basic For Applications Extensibility 5.3.
If you do not set this reference, you will receive a User-defined type not defined compiler error.
================================================== ================================================== ============

--
isabelle

wrote:

I have a folder that contains several excel files, each excel file
contains a single macro.

Is it possible from a macro in another excel file to programmatically
determine the name of the macro in each of the files in the folder?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Isabelle,

a réf. for Microsoft Visual Basic For Applications Extensibility 5.3

I have no idea what that is! Guess I need to do a little mroe
research.

================================================== =========================*======================== =============

wrote:

I have a folder that contains several excel files, each excel file
contains a single macro.

Is it possible from a macro in another excel file to programmatically
determine the name of the macro in each of the files in the folder?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you for the tip, I'll try that. But I've run out of time until
next week.

================================================== =========================**======================= ==============
•First, you need to set an reference to the VBA Extensibililty library.
The library contains the definitions of the objects that make up the VBProject.
In the VBA editor, go the the Tools menu and choose References.
In that dialog, scroll down to and check the entry for Microsoft Visual Basic For Applications Extensibility 5.3.
If you do not set this reference, you will receive a User-defined type not defined compiler error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK, I got rained out tonight so a few extra minutes to play with this.

I checked the reference noted below, and did get further (at first it
was a compile error I think).

But now I get an error on this line (of Chip's example):

Set VBProj = ActiveWorkbook.VBProject

which says Programmatic access to Visual Basic Project is not trusted.

If I try to step again on this line of code the error changes to:

Method 'VBProject' of object '_Workbook' failed

FWIW, I'm on WinXP and Excel 2007.

On May 5, 2:54 pm, *wrote:
hi John,

did you added a réf. for Microsoft Visual Basic For Applications Extensibility 5.3

================================================== =========================**======================= ==============
•First, you need to set an reference to the VBA Extensibililty library.
The library contains the definitions of the objects that make up the VBProject.
In the VBA editor, go the the Tools menu and choose References.
In that dialog, scroll down to and check the entry for Microsoft Visual Basic For Applications Extensibility 5.3.
If you do not set this reference, you will receive a User-defined type not defined compiler error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure which Version you're using but!

In 2010.

Go to Developer | Macro Security | Macro Settings...

Under:

Developer Macro Setting, make sure "Trust access to the VBA project
object model" is checked.

Earlier Versions may be:

Tools | Macro | Macro Security.

HTH