Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Summing Criteria with Index - Match

Hello, I am trying to figure a formula that will search a range of
data and sum the values of a specific column based on the column name
and row name. I have a table of 7000+ companies listed in column B.
Column A is the State where the company is located. In Row 1, are
accounting codes, each representing things like, Net Income, Revenue,
Expenses etc... There are 60+ fields of codes.

I would like to write a formula that will search the data table,
recognize the column identifiers ("Net Income" for example) and then
sum all those values of all the banks located in New York.

I have been using the Index Match formula to pull out info on each
individual company. Here is an example the formula I have been using.

INDEX('2Q 2009'!$C$2:$BE$7000,MATCH(G$10,'2Q 2009'!$B$2:$B
$7000,0),MATCH($C31,'2Q 2009'!$C$1:$BE$1,0)) "G$10" = The company
name & $C31 = the accounting code

This works great to find the information on a specific company, as far
as finding and summing the column of all companies in a specific state
is where I am lost. Summing the Index Match on a specific criteria
would be ideal, as the output sheet for the data is formatted
differently and I have to do this numerous time for each quarter.

Any assistance would be great. Thanks....