Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Application.OperatingSystem returns what?

Here is a partial list I compiled for the results to
"Application.OperatingSystem".
I am sure it is full of errors and omissions.Can anyone add to this?
Thanks

Windows 3.10 3.10
Workgroups 3.11 3.10
Windows NT 3.51 Windows 3.10
Windows 98 Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 98SE Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 2000 Windows (32-bit) NT 5.00
Windows XP Windows (32-bit) NT 5.01
Windows Vista Windows (32-bit) NT 6.00

Here, which is correct?
Windows 95 Windows 3.95
Windows 95 Windows (32-bit) 4.00
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Junior Member

On 9/4/2010 1:02 AM, shy1162 wrote:
Here is a partial list I compiled for the results to
"Application.OperatingSystem".
I am sure it is full of errors and omissions.Can anyone add to this?
Thanks

Windows 3.10 3.10
Workgroups 3.11 3.10
Windows NT 3.51 Windows 3.10
Windows 98 Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 98SE Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 2000 Windows (32-bit) NT 5.00
Windows XP Windows (32-bit) NT 5.01
Windows Vista Windows (32-bit) NT 6.00

Here, which is correct?
Windows 95 Windows 3.95
Windows 95 Windows (32-bit) 4.00

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

Windows 1.0 (Windows 1 - Based on Visi-On) April 30, 1985
Windows 2.0 (Windows 2) December 9, 1987
Windows 3.0 (Windows 3 - Is the first version of Windows to make
substantial commercial impact) May 22, 1990
Windows 3.1x (Windows 3.1) March 18, 1992
Windows 3.2 (Chinese-only release) November 19, 1992
Windows for Workgroups 3.11 January 21, 1993
Windows 95 (Windows 4) August 24, 1995
Windows 98 (Windows 4.1) June 25, 1998
Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me - Windows 4.9) September 14, 2000
Windows NT 3.1 March 31, 1994
Windows NT 3.5 September 21, 1994
Windows NT 3.51 May 30, 1995
Windows NT 4.0 July 31, 1996
Windows 2000 (Windows NT 5.0), February 17, 2000
Windows XP October 25, 2001
Windows Server 2003 April 24, 2003
Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs July 8, 2006
Windows Vista January 31, 2007
Windows Home Server February 28, 2008
Windows Server 2008 February 28, 2008
Windows 7 October 22, 2009

Windows CE (OS for handhelds, embedded devices, and real-time
applications that is similar to other versions of Windows) May 30, 2002
Windows CE 3.0 December 25, 2002
Windows CE 5.0 February 27, 2003
Windows CE 6.0 May 5, 2004
Windows Mobile (based on Windows CE, but for a smaller form factor)
April 14, 2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95

Windows 95 is a consumer-oriented graphical user interface-based
operating system. It was released on August 24, 1995 by Microsoft[2],
and was a significant progression from the company's previous Windows
products. During development it was referred to as Windows 4.0 or by the
internal codename Chicago.

Release date 24 August 1995 (info)
Current version 4.00 OEM Service Release 2.5 (OSR2.5) (Build 950)
(4.00.950 C)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Junior Member

On 9/4/2010 1:02 AM, shy1162 wrote:
Here is a partial list I compiled for the results to
"Application.OperatingSystem".
I am sure it is full of errors and omissions.Can anyone add to this?
Thanks

Windows 3.10 3.10
Workgroups 3.11 3.10
Windows NT 3.51 Windows 3.10
Windows 98 Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 98SE Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 2000 Windows (32-bit) NT 5.00
Windows XP Windows (32-bit) NT 5.01
Windows Vista Windows (32-bit) NT 6.00

Here, which is correct?
Windows 95 Windows 3.95
Windows 95 Windows (32-bit) 4.00

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21062

This has a pretty good list.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When you use "Application.OperatingSystem" in a excel macro, the
response is???
That is what I am trying to determine for various versions of windows.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

we posted at the same time

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This OperatingSystem property will depend on OS version , Bulid ,
Service Pack etc.So it will vary on different computer.

If it is the result in one OS then some error is there else it is
perfectly fine that this property will return different value.There
are lot of OS each os has lot version each version has lot build pack
etc.The list can not be exclsusive.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 01:02:44 -0700 (PDT), shy1162
wrote:

Here is a partial list I compiled for the results to
"Application.OperatingSystem".
I am sure it is full of errors and omissions.Can anyone add to this?
Thanks

Windows 3.10 3.10
Workgroups 3.11 3.10
Windows NT 3.51 Windows 3.10
Windows 98 Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 98SE Windows (32-bit) 4.10
Windows 2000 Windows (32-bit) NT 5.00
Windows XP Windows (32-bit) NT 5.01
Windows Vista Windows (32-bit) NT 6.00

Here, which is correct?
Windows 95 Windows 3.95
Windows 95 Windows (32-bit) 4.00

You've had some other responses, but there is one caveat of which you
should be aware.

When VBA Application.OperatingSystem runs on a 64-bit system, it will
report a 32-bit system <sigh. This has been the case for years,
and I don't know if it has been corrected in Office 2010 or in 64-bit
versions of Office.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

When VBA Application.OperatingSystem runs on a 64-bit system, it will
report a 32-bit system <sigh. This has been the case for years,
and I don't know if it has been corrected in Office 2010 or in 64-bit
versions of Office.

Hi Ron, I had read that before. The general opinion is that Office
only works on 32-bits so it responds that way.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message

When VBA Application.OperatingSystem runs on a 64-bit system, it will
report a 32-bit system <sigh. This has been the case for years,
and I don't know if it has been corrected in Office 2010 or in 64-bit
versions of Office.

You can tell if you are running Office 64-bit with the newly added Win64
conditional constant introduced in 2010's VBA7

#If WIN64 = true then
' code for 64 bit Office
#Else
' 32bit code
#End If

That's important as will need to cater differently for most APIs and other
stuff, but only if the code might be run in multiple versions.

Regards,
Peter T