Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formatting macro runs real slow due to network printer - best workaround?

Hi All

I have a macro that formats raw data to make it look like an old
legacy report for some people who refuse to move with the times! :)
This results in adding extra blank rows in the data. When my default
printer is set to my network printer the macro runs very slow. When I
change the default printer to the image writer the code runs quicker:

Application.ActivePrinter = "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer on
Ne00:"

I am not really happy with this solution though as I sure this fix
wont work on someones machine somewhere. It seems like a hack rather
than a neat solution.

Additionaly to set back to the network printer takes 12 seconds!

Is there a better solution where I dont mess with the users default
printer? I have tried clearing the print area before the macro runs
and also setting the print area to a single cell. No luck.

Cheers for any thoughts
Chrisso
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 25 Aug, 15:15, Chrisso wrote:
[...]

Hmmm - I have already found that there are at least two variants for
the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer "port" or whatever "Ne00"
means.

Application.ActivePrinter = "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer on
Ne00:"
Application.ActivePrinter = "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer on
Ne01:"

If this is the best workaround does anyone know how I can lookup which
"port" to append to the end of the image writer text?

Cheers
Chrisso

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Suggestions/comments...
When adding rows, you should be running the loop from the bottom up.
Screenupdating should be turned off.
Minimize calls to PageSetup - only change/set those items absolutely necessary.
*Turn off the display of Page breaks - and do it again after every call to PageSetup.*
Out of date printer drivers can cause a lot of printing problems. Are yours current? The users?
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

..