Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Use concatenated String as input to Data Validation List

Hello all,

I would like to use a concetenated string to populate a data
validation list.

Is this possible?

Regards,

Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Are you using a range as the source of the validation list?

If yes, you can use a formula in any of the cells in that range to concatenate
the values from any other cells.

--
Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:14:51 -0500, Dave Peterson
wrote:

Are you using a range as the source of the validation list?

If yes, you can use a formula in any of the cells in that range to concatenate
the values from any other cells.

On 07/26/2010 09:45, KevinC wrote:
Hello all,

I would like to use a concetenated string to populate a data
validation list.

Is this possible?

Regards,

Kevin

I use named ranges for drop downs all the time. Filling said range can
happen in any manner.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...101945032.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...030008308.aspx

On the time sheet workbook, the time increment selection is user
specified. All without any programming need as yet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I would like to do is have all my list values stored in one cell
as Item1,Item2,Item3 etc

I would like to the reference this single cell and then the list Items
would appear ina drop down as:

Item1
Item2
Item3

The reason I am trying to do this is that I have many cells to
populate - the following thread goes into a bit more detail:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthr...36#post2388936

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can create a drop down from a column of cells, but do they really
all need to be in one cell?

If so, you could concatenate (parse?)that list, then populate a named
range with those values, and make the drop down refer to the named range,
whether there are any values in the cells or not.

What is the function to cut your comma separated list into each of its
constituents in a vertical one item per ROW single column fashion?

With that it would be easy. Is it "FIND"? I can do it with a wizard
but I want to make a button that does it from your list. Again, why do
you need to make the desired menu list that way?

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:28:18 -0700 (PDT), KevinC
wrote:

What I would like to do is have all my list values stored in one cell
as Item1,Item2,Item3 etc

I would like to the reference this single cell and then the list Items
would appear ina drop down as:

Item1
Item2
Item3

The reason I am trying to do this is that I have many cells to
populate - the following thread goes into a bit more detail:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthr...36#post2388936

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It still needs the parsing engine.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tfvy2s...enupicker.xltx