Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with UDFs in Excel 2010

Hi ~
I am working on a project that is a worksheet containing a UDF. It
seems that it wasn't made using VBA?! Instead it is a worksheet with
the first line as the function name, and the next lines showing the
arguments, and then several lines doing the function. It ends with
=HALT(). Can someone point me in the right direction to understand
how to use this or modify it!? When I search for help on this topic,
all seems to refer to UDFs or Macros created with VBA.

Thanks !!
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HALT is an Excel 4 macro function that is used to stop the macro.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

wrote in message ...
Hi ~
I am working on a project that is a worksheet containing a UDF. It
seems that it wasn't made using VBA?! Instead it is a worksheet with
the first line as the function name, and the next lines showing the
arguments, and then several lines doing the function. It ends with
=HALT(). Can someone point me in the right direction to understand
how to use this or modify it!? When I search for help on this topic,
all seems to refer to UDFs or Macros created with VBA.

Thanks !!
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 19:56:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Hi ~
I am working on a project that is a worksheet containing a UDF. It
seems that it wasn't made using VBA?! Instead it is a worksheet with
the first line as the function name, and the next lines showing the
arguments, and then several lines doing the function. It ends with
=HALT(). Can someone point me in the right direction to understand
how to use this or modify it!? When I search for help on this topic,
all seems to refer to UDFs or Macros created with VBA.

Thanks !!
Jen

These are macro sheets from Excel prior to Excel 97. Look for HELP
for XLM Macros. (Back then, MS used to distribute printed manuals,
which included documentation for this).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
Hi ~
I am working on a project that is a worksheet containing a UDF. *It
seems that it wasn't made using VBA?! *Instead it is a worksheet with
the first line as the function name, and the next lines showing the
arguments, and then several lines doing the function. *It ends with
=HALT(). *Can someone point me in the right direction to understand
how to use this or modify it!? *When I search for help on this topic,
all seems to refer to UDFs or Macros created with VBA.

Thanks !!
Jen

These are macro sheets from Excel prior to Excel 97. *Look for HELP
for XLM Macros. *(Back then, MS used to distribute printed manuals,
which included documentation for this).

Thanks for the info! I will google the XLM Macros. As part of the
project, I am asked to help improve the functions if possible. Would
converting from an XLM Macro sheet to a VBA Macro have benefits,
besides that it is "current"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
[...]

I am a firm believer in the adage of not fixing something that is not
broken. Whether converting it to VBA will "improve" it or not, is
something not easily answered. It might be easier to maintain the
work, and update it if necessary to accomodate changes in the
underlying data. Of course, VBA may not have an unlimited life span
either.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:
[...]

either.- Hide quoted text -

One more question...sorry! And thanks for all your help! I was able
to get my XLM Macro working in one worksheet in excel, but not
another. I think I need to save it in my Personal macro workbook, but
don't know how to do it with this type of macro. Once I do that,
should the UDF be available in all my workbooks on my machine?
Thanks!!
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:25:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

One more question...sorry! And thanks for all your help! I was able
to get my XLM Macro working in one worksheet in excel, but not
another. I think I need to save it in my Personal macro workbook, but
don't know how to do it with this type of macro. Once I do that,
should the UDF be available in all my workbooks on my machine?
Thanks!!
Jen

It's been a long time, but I believe the XLM macros are only available
in the worksheet in which they exist.

The only way I know to have a UDF available to all the workbooks on
your machine would be to have it in VBA and save it as an add-in (.xla
or .xlam). Then activate that add-in for your Excel program.

But there may be other ways with the XLM macros. Perhaps if you made
it part of Personal, in the XLSTART, it might work also, at least for
new workbooks; and possibly for the existing one's. Try it and see.