Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default opening other workbooks at the same time

How do I add another drive to search for when loading the workbooks
listed below.

Problem is when I use these files on my pen drive at home / work and
other PCs the pen might be recognised as a different drive letter on
each one.

I only need it look in say "f" and "g" and that will do the job.

Many thanks

John

EXAMPLE

Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls") '
Change as required
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment
planner.xls")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'll let you fill in the filenames, but this will check if a file exists in
F drive.
If it exists it will open it.
If not will open it from G.
There is no error checking so if you forget to plug the drive in or it has
another drive letter it won't work.

Sub test()
If Len(Dir("f:\test.xlsx")) 0 Then
Workbooks.Open ("f:\test.xls")
Else
Workbooks.Open ("g:\test.xls")

Regards
Steve

"Johnnyboy5" wrote in message
How do I add another drive to search for when loading the workbooks
listed below.

Problem is when I use these files on my pen drive at home / work and
other PCs the pen might be recognised as a different drive letter on
each one.

I only need it look in say "f" and "g" and that will do the job.

Many thanks

John

EXAMPLE

Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls") '
Change as required
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment
planner.xls")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:
I'll let you fill in the filenames, but this will check if a file exists in
F drive.
If it exists it will open it.
If not will open it from G.
There is no error checking so if you forget to plug the drive in or it has
another drive letter it won't work.

Sub test()
* * If Len(Dir("f:\test.xlsx")) 0 Then
* * * * Workbooks.Open ("f:\test.xls")
* * * * Else
* * * * Workbooks.Open ("g:\test.xls")
* * End If
End Sub

[...]

planner.xls")- Hide quoted text -

Thanks - cant try it til tonight - thanks - will let you know how it
goes

Johnnyboy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:
[...]

Hi

Couldn't wait so tried to do it in work.

not sure how i should be writing this code out, is it .... ?

Sub test()

If Len(Dir("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")) 0
Then
Workbooks.Open ("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments
cheryl.xls")

Else
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments
cheryl.xls")

If Len(Dir("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls")) 0
Then
Workbooks.Open ("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments
Sandra.xls")

Else
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments
Sandra.xls")

ECT ECT

Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment
planner.xls")

thanks

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You only need to check if one of the files is on the F drive and it will
open them all.
Otherwise it will open them all from the G drive.

Sub test()
If Len(Dir("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")) 0 Then
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls") '
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly paymentplanner.xls")
Else
Workbooks.Open ("g\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("g\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls") '
Workbooks.Open ("g\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("g\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("g\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly paymentplanner.xls")

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Awesome ! thanks V V much -

John.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

Me again. sorry tried it it doesnt run when I open the main sheet 0.5
yearly payment planner.

I think something about open_workbook () is missing - the other code i
used will open the other workbooks when the "main" open is opened
first. Hope this makes sense.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

sure thing - and thanks for your attention to my problem, most
helpful to me

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

'Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
'Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls") '
Change as required
'Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
' Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
' Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment
planner.xls") '
End Sub

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK sorry missed that bit, so the macro you have already starts when you open
a file.
That macro should be in the ThisWorkbook section of your main workbook.
just replace that with

Privat Sub Workbook_Open()

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

Hi tested at home on my laptop / PC (different drives) and it
worked with a bit or sorting of which drive should be searched for
first.

If you know of how to write a code to look for the workbooks in any
location that would be just fantastic.

I was sent the following code by Rick
what I meant was "take the
relevant part of the text and use it in your code". As an example...
DriveLetter = Left(ThisWorkbook.Path, 1)
Workbooks.Open (" & DriveLetter & _
":\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment planner.xls")
--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

but didnt have a clue how to use it. its all under a post called

open several workbooks at the same time.

johnnyboy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

or instead how can i get it to work with three ++ drives

example what do need to change

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

If Len(Dir("x:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")) 0 Then
Workbooks.Open ("x:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("x:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("x:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("x:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("x:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment
planner.xls")
Else

Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("f:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment
planner.xls")

Workbooks.Open ("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments cheryl.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sandra.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Liv.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("g:\Direct Payments DOT\1 payments Sally.xls")
Workbooks.Open ("g:\Direct Payments DOT\0.5 yearly payment
planner.xls")

thanks John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi John,

Having looked through your posts I think it might be easier to try
something new.
Open windows "notepad" and copy and paste the lines below. Don't include the
dotted lines.

'----------
start \Direct Payments DOT\"1 payments cheryl.xls"
start \Direct Payments DOT\"1 payments Sandra.xls"
start \Direct Payments DOT\"1 payments Liv.xls"
start \Direct Payments DOT\"1 payments Sally.xls"
start \Direct Payments DOT\"0.5 yearly payment planner.xls"
exit
'----------

Then click on filesave as
Give it the name "Start.bat"
And save it to your pen drive.
It may ask you if you are sure you want to change the file type but it is ok
Now double click the file Start.bat on your pen drive, it doesn't matter if
the drive letter is A or Z it will start all your files

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 9 June, 10:43, "steve" wrote:

[...]

THATS FANTASTIC - just tried it in work, will test it at home on the
other PCs ect.

your a star and very patient - thanks. John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi John,
I hope it works For you, It just seems easier that way, I use my pen drive
all over and it is always a different letter. This way the drive letter is
unimportant.

'