Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Separate code from workbook?!

Hello,

Using a very good book on Excel application programming, I've created a very
good and complex application. We have deployed it into production. We've
hired about 20 people to use the application. Great!

Now, the owner wants to change the query. Sometimes, we need to change some
logic. I started using an integer data type, but had to change the data
types to big integer. The code had to be changed to use long instead of int.

I keep having to change the code. Now, I have separated the userforms and
code modules from the data. I am using SQL Server. Most of my code is
written in modules instead of the code of the controls and userforms.

Question
=====
But I still have to go over to 20 pcs to update a small piece code. Does
anyone have an idea how to centralize the code?

I am thinking that I could take the modules out of the application workbook
and put it in a workbook that is on the network.

I'm not sure how to do that. I'm also not sure how to call a module that is
in a workbook on the network. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Investigate saving your code workbook as an Add-in which would be stored
where all have access to it.

And you would be able to update just that Add-in.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 12:47:56 -0700, Webtechie
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

As Gord says, creating an XLA addin and storing it on a network share
is the way to go.

You might also want to go a sterp further and use my automatically
reversioning addin loader, which is downloadable from:
http://www.decisionmodels.com/downloads.htm

Charles Williams
Excel MVP
The Excel Calculation Site