Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Different kind of cell reference.

I have a need to calculate a formula that I don't know how to
reference. The following is the pattern that I could hard code.
Basically, I have a value for each year, and need to interpolate
monthly values. Is there a more generic way of entering these
cells?

=D1 + (D15-D1)*1
=D1 + (D15-D1)*2
=D1 + (D15-D1)*3
=D1 + (D15-D1)*4
=D1 + (D15-D1)*5
=D1 + (D15-D1)*6
=D1 + (D15-D1)*7
=D1 + (D15-D1)*8
=D1 + (D15-D1)*9
=D1 + (D15-D1)*10
=D1 + (D15-D1)*11
=D1 + (D15-D1)*12

=D30 + (D30-D15)*1
=D30 + (D30-D15)*2
=D30 + (D30-D15)*3
=D30 + (D30-D15)*4
=D30 + (D30-D15)*5
=D30 + (D30-D15)*6
=D30 + (D30-D15)*7
=D30 + (D30-D15)*8
=D30 + (D30-D15)*9
=D30 + (D30-D15)*10
=D30 + (D30-D15)*11
=D30 + (D30-D15)*12

- James Madison

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

[...]

If the first formula in in cell D2, try this:

=D1+(D15-D1)*(ROW(D2)-ROW(D$1))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:27:04 +0200, Lars-Åke Aspelin
wrote:

If the first formula in in cell D2, try this:

=D1+(D15-D1)*(ROW(D2)-ROW(D$1))

That looks promising.

- James Madison
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

[...]

Oops, forgot to write that the formula in D2 can now be copied down
column D until cell D12.

Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:31:40 +0200, Lars-Åke Aspelin
wrote:

If the first formula in in cell D2, try this:

=D1+(D15-D1)*(ROW(D2)-ROW(D$1))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Oops, forgot to write that the formula in D2 can now be copied down
column D until cell D12.

The trouble is, the (D$1) will need to be manually changed to (D$15)
and so on each time I duplicate the set.

I guess my manual code before is a bit easier to paste for each new
year. No big deal, but I'd sort of like to have it more *coded*, if
you know what I mean. (even if it's more work - it's more fun code!)

- James Madison
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

If the first formula in in cell D2, try this:

=D1+(D15-D1)*(ROW(D2)-ROW(D$1))

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Oops, forgot to write that the formula in D2 can now be copied down
column D until cell D12.

The trouble is, the (D$1) will need to be manually changed to (D$15)
and so on each time I duplicate the set.

I guess my manual code before is a bit easier to paste for each new
year. No big deal, but I'd sort of like to have it more *coded*, if
you know what I mean. (even if it's more work - it's more fun code!)

Well, the formula I proposed need some corrections.

=D$1+(D$15-D$1)*(ROW(D2)-ROW(D$1))

should work for the first year.

In order to handle subsequent year without manual editing of formula
we have to know where the subssequent year is located.

Lars-Åke
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:23:09 +0200, Lars-Åke Aspelin
wrote:

Well, the formula I proposed need some corrections.

=D$1+(D$15-D$1)*(ROW(D2)-ROW(D$1))

should work for the first year.

In order to handle subsequent year without manual editing of formula
we have to know where the subssequent year is located.

I actually simplified my formula for the post. Pick a line. My
example had it in line 15.

- James Madison
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Howard Brazee used his keyboard to write :

[...]

Where are you storing the value you have for each year? Are you trying
to generate numbers for each month (1 to 12), or month names (Jan to
Dec)?

A sample of where your year values are stored and the expected results
of the formula would be very helpful!

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:13:58 -0400, GS wrote:

Where are you storing the value you have for each year? Are you trying
to generate numbers for each month (1 to 12), or month names (Jan to
Dec)?

A sample of where your year values are stored and the expected results
of the formula would be very helpful!

I'm off today and the sheet is at work. I do some manipulation of
date functions to display the date. I would have to do some other
manipulation to get it back.

I simplified what I'm doing for this thread. Make any assumptions
about date that would illustrate your solution.

- James Madison

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Howard Brazee explained on 6/4/2010 :
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:13:58 -0400, GS wrote:

Where are you storing the value you have for each year? Are you trying
to generate numbers for each month (1 to 12), or month names (Jan to
Dec)?

A sample of where your year values are stored and the expected results
of the formula would be very helpful!

I'm off today and the sheet is at work. I do some manipulation of
date functions to display the date. I would have to do some other
manipulation to get it back.

I simplified what I'm doing for this thread. Make any assumptions
about date that would illustrate your solution.

Try this...

Copy this sub into a module:

Sub InterpolateMonthlyValues(YearsToDo As String)
Dim i As Long, r As Long
Dim s1 As String, s2 As String, f1 As String, f2 As String, f3 As
String
Dim vYrs As Variant

r = 1
f1 = "=month(text(row()-"
f2 = "&""/1/""&D$"
f3 = ",""mm/dd/yyyy""))"

vYrs = Split(YearsToDo, ",")
For i = LBound(vYrs) To UBound(vYrs)
s1 = f1 & CStr(r) & f2 & CStr(r) & f3
s2 = "D" & CStr(r)
With Range(s2)
.value = vYrs(i)
With .Offset(1).Resize(12)
.Formula = s1
' .value = .value 'convert to constants if desired
End With
End With
'Insert 1 blank row between groupings
r = r + 14 'spacing: adjust to suit
Next
End Sub

Enter this in the Immediate Window:
InterpolateMonthlyValues "2007,2008,2009,2010"

Hopefully, you'll be able to modify it to suit your need if it's not
exactly what you want 'as is'.

regards,

--
Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 13:21:50 -0400, GS wrote:

Hopefully, you'll be able to modify it to suit your need if it's not
exactly what you want 'as is'.

Interesting. That will be fun to play with when I have time. Thanks.

- James Madison