Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default please help about handling "#NUM!" error !

Hello all,
this time I will be much shorter:

Is there any way that I can "handle" errors. When Excels' <function returns
error ("#NUM!") (in a worksheet)
I may type in a cell "=IFERROR(<function; -5.0) (my local settings needs
semicolumn as argument separator)
in order to display either value that <function returns (if it is not
error) or -5.0 if it returns error of some types
("#N/A", "#VALUE!", "#REF!", "#DIV/0!", "#NUM!", "#NAME?" or "#NULL!")).

Is there any mechanism that I may use in order to "catch" error that returns
"WorksheetFunction.<function"
inside VBA code (User Defined Function)? If I type something like:

X=WorksheetFunction.IsError(WorksheetFunction.<fun ction, -5.0)

and step through UDF ("F8") everything is OK, variables get their proper
values, ... until that assignment, if <function
returns "#NUM!". If <function returns some "proper" value everything is OK
until next assignment in thich <function
returns "#NUM!". My UDF simply "exits", all variables lose their values, as
if function is exited (normaly or abnormaly).

Thanks in advance
Nenad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Fri, 7 May 2010 11:26:51 +0200, "Nenad Tosic"
wrote:

[...]

You could try using the Evaluate method.

e.g.:

====================================
Option Explicit
Sub TestError()
Dim r As Variant

r = WorksheetFunction.IfError(Evaluate("IRR({10,20})") , -5)

Debug.Print r
End Sub
=======================================

will print -5 even though the formula gives a #NUM error.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Ron !! I was a little bit too impatient (I could not "see" reply
from Dave Peterson
and (especially) Chip Pearson, who proposed me to use Err.Number (I got
status 1004
when error occured and 0 when everything was OK) instead of Daves' proposal
to use
"if iserror(<function) then ..."). I used both of them to find two UDFs (I
will test which
is faster, because the logics of both UDFs is the same). I will also try to
use "IfError()",
but later...

(I am not sure, but I think that I have already experimented with
"IfError()").

Nenad