Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default SUMIF criteria

I have a spreadsheet and I am running a SUMIF to a second and I am having
trouble with the search criteria. The original reference is a 3 or 4 digit
number and the criteria I am searching for has a text discriptor in front of
that 3 or 4 digit number. Is there a way to have the SumIf formula figure out
that I am just looking for the number and not the text and number. The
criteria search does have a "-" between the word and the number.

i.e. I am searching for "134"and the column is set up "abc-1234" and I want
to use the 1234.

My formula is : =SUMIF('Labor March'!A6:A896,A9,'Labor March'!L6:L896)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try using SUMPRODUCT - something like
=SUMPRODUCT(N(MID('Labor March'!A6:A896,FIND("-",'Labor
March'!A6:A896)+1,10)=A9&""),'Labor March'!L6:L896)

Bob Umlas
Excel MVP