Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2007-Macros

Do I understand correctly that you need to know how to use VBA to use macros
in Excel? I am an educator and have an end user who wants to record macros,
but neither of us knows VBA. The end user cannot give me an examples of what
she wants to record as a macro, but would like to know the process. I don't
want to show her how if at some time in the future we need to use VBA.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

SueW wrote:
Do I understand correctly that you need to know how to use VBA to use macros
in Excel? I am an educator and have an end user who wants to record macros,
but neither of us knows VBA. The end user cannot give me an examples of what
she wants to record as a macro, but would like to know the process. I don't
want to show her how if at some time in the future we need to use VBA.

XL2007 macro recording is hopelessly broken. Use XL2003 and remain sane.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sue-

Macros are recorded in the programming language VBA (Visual Basic for
Applications). Knowing VBA can certainly help a user extend the functionality
of their macros, but in-depth knowledge of VBA is not generally required to
record and use simple macros.

However, in my experience, a very basic knowledge of the Excel object model
in VBA is helpful. When Excel records a macro, it records exactly what you do
in Excel, but does not always record enough 'context' information to make
every recorded macro work "right out of the box". So there may be situations
where your recorded macro doesn't work the first time you try to run it. If
this occurs, if you simply post your macro code to this newsgroup with a
clear explanation about what you were expecting it to do, and what it is
actually doing, then helpful contributors in this group will modify your
macro so it works properly, and usually with enough information that you'll
start learning a little VBA along the way

Best,
Keith

"SueW" wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you need to know how to use VBA to use macros
in Excel? I am an educator and have an end user who wants to record macros,
but neither of us knows VBA. The end user cannot give me an examples of what
she wants to record as a macro, but would like to know the process. I don't
want to show her how if at some time in the future we need to use VBA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's hopelessly broken only if you installed the beta of Excel 2010!
Otherwise, it works just fine.
Uninstall 2010, reinstall 2007 AND 2010, macros should be ok

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
SueW wrote:
Do I understand correctly that you need to know how to use VBA to use
macros in Excel? I am an educator and have an end user who wants to
record macros, but neither of us knows VBA. The end user cannot give me
an examples of what she wants to record as a macro, but would like to
know the process. I don't want to show her how if at some time in the
future we need to use VBA.

XL2007 macro recording is hopelessly broken. Use XL2003 and remain sane.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

joel,
After some 10 or 12 years of programming Excel VBA I consider myself
Knowledgable, not necessarily an expert. The code I put up was simply a
macro that was recorded in Excel 2007 while going through the process of
changing the color of the data point markers on one series of a line chart.
As you can see from the code recorded: it did not record anything about the
change of color!!

Like you, I often use the recorder as you do - as a learning tool or to
refresh my memory. In this instance, and many like it in XL 2007, the
recorder is not only useless, but frustrating in its incomplete recording.

And yes, I would typically either change the name of the macro if I modified
it, or delete it entirely once I had gleaned the needed information from it.
This is just one of several reasons I remain with XL 2003 as my primary tool
and have not moved to 2007 for anything except assisting others that have
made the move when I can.

"joel" wrote:

I'm an expert in VBA and often use the macro recorder to get me started
on a macro. Especially with commands I don't use often to get the
correct syntax. But I always modified the reocrded macro to remove the
Selection and Active properties.

The problem with some macro instructions is the recorder
activates/selects objects but doesn't correctly put the
activation/selection of an object into the macro.

You don't need to know VBA to use the recorder, but to get a macro that
is easily understandable and easy to upgrade you should always modifiy
and document the macro so you remember in the future what the macro
actual does. At least changge the name of the macro form Macro1 to
something that you will remember in the future.

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?u=229

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I haven't been usingg 2007 significantly. I have 2003 at home and just
got 2007 at work so I haven't used the recorder a lot on 2007.

I don't consider myself a GURU in VBA since I don't have access to
inside information. But do consider myself more than knowledgeable from
the amount of programs I wrote; the level of debugging I've been force
to do because of the lack of good documentation; and the number of
errors with VBA that microsoft hasn't fixed. The macro recorder is only
the "Tip of the Iceberg" when it comes to the problems with VBA.