Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default using Name or other method to add cell values through workbook

I suspect what I want to do is fairly easy, but I need help
nonetheless.
I have a workbook I'm using to track expenses for a project. On each
worksheet, I have bank statements with transaction amounts. I have
gone through and labelled each of these transaction amounts with a tax
reference (e.g., "Maintenance"). So, on a worksheet, there might be
three Maintenance cells, with the neighbouring cell representing the
transcation's value. I know how to define a Name to get a constant
value (e.g., A2's value is Tax, A3's value is the current tax rate, so
I just define "Tax" then on another cell I can multiply 10*tax to find
out how much tax I pay on $10).
I would like to do something similar, but here I just want to add up
all the cells with a neighbouring name/label of "Maintenance" I
suspect I can do this with name, but can't figure it out. Can someone
show me how to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assume your tax reference is in column A and the values are in column B.
At the bottom of column B data, put this formula

=SUMIF(A2:A6,"Maintenance",B2:B6)

You would need to adjust the range to the actual length.

"mikeg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Look at help for the SUMIF() worksheet function. If I understand your post
correctly, the actual entries in the tax references are like "Maintenance"?
And if so, then SUMIF() should work for you.

"mikeg" wrote:

[...]
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

SUMIF is exactly what I was looking for. I got what I wanted with:
=SUMIF(E1:E67,"=Maintenance",F1:F67)

Thanks so much for your assistance!