Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Non standard characters

User's are pasting text from Word. The results are non standard
character input. These have to be recognized. I can loop thru all
cells. What am I checking for. What is a "hit"?

AND

Is there a format setup that prohibits non standard characters?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One person's "non-standard" character could be another person's "that is
just what I need" character. Can you describe what you consider non-standard
characters to be or, if it is easier for you, what a standard character is
to you? Since you are talking about text being pasted in, I guessing the
only way to filter these non-standard characters out (once you identify them
for us) is by using VB code.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"cate" wrote in message
User's are pasting text from Word. The results are non standard
character input. These have to be recognized. I can loop thru all
cells. What am I checking for. What is a "hit"?

AND

Is there a format setup that prohibits non standard characters?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Arre you trying to remove formating as well as remove the non-standard
characters. To remove non-standa4rd characters yo can past the text
into a notepad application (which also removes formating) and then copy
from notepad back into excel.

Non-standard characters can mean a lot of different things. the ASCII
character set consits of 256 character (8 bit characters), but there a
unicode characters which are 16 bit characters. the unicode characters
are special characters.

If you go to the excel menu Insert - Symbol you will see some of the
special characters. The standard character in the Unicode box will have
two zeeroes. special characrters wil have something other than two
zeroes as the unicode. if you want to find out which characters to
remove you cna highlight the character with the mouse and then go to
Insert - symbo and you will see the unicode character number for the
character. then you can tell which characters you need to remove.

If you are using international character sets (more than one language)
the international characters will be special. If you change the
International settings in your excel options to something other than
your normal excel settings than the international characters will be
standard character and the standard characters will become international
characters. There are a lot of funny things that happen to people who
send workbooks out to people around the world.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have to know the code for those characters. Try something like this:
=code(A1)
Or, wherever those pesky characters are. When you have the correct code, or
number, place that number in this macro:

Sub Remove_CR_LF()
With Selection
..Replace What:=Chr(39), Replacement:=Chr(32), _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
..Replace What:=Chr(146) & Chr(10), Replacement:=Chr(32), _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
..Replace What:=Chr(180), Replacement:=Chr(32), _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
End With
End Sub

For instance =code(!) = 33

--
Ryan---

"joel" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Apr 5, 1:55*pm, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:
One person's "non-standard" character could be another person's "that is
just what I need" character. Can you describe what you consider non-standard
characters to be or, if it is easier for you, what a standard character is
to you? Since you are talking about text being pasted in, I guessing the
only way to filter these non-standard characters out (once you identify them
for us) is by using VB code.

Oops. I just want these:
ascii characters