Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formula to find text and count it within an entire workbook

I have a workbook where there is nothing consistent or any named ranges. I
need to make a summary sheet and count everytime I have the word cable in the
entire workbook in column B. I have tried different variations of countif,
lookups and find but have not come up with a combination that works. My
restraint is that I can't have a macro for this workbook. I really need some
help, example below.

A B
1 Cable
2 FSR
3 FRK
4 Wind Meter
5 Laptop

Thanks in advance,
Carrie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

=COUNTIF($a$1:$H$5000,"*Cable*")

if the data is in a different sheet called Data use

=COUNTIF(Data!$a$1:$H$5000,"*Cable*")

change range to fit your needs

"Carrie_Loos via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

I have a workbook where there is nothing consistent or any named ranges. I
need to make a summary sheet and count everytime I have the word cable in the
entire workbook in column B. I have tried different variations of countif,
lookups and find but have not come up with a combination that works. My
restraint is that I can't have a macro for this workbook. I really need some
help, example below.

A B
1 Cable
2 FSR
3 FRK
4 Wind Meter
5 Laptop

Thanks in advance,
Carrie

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Eduardo, thanks but I want to collect this information throughout the
entire workbook, there are several worksheets and none of them are named
consistantly. The formula would be unmanageable and after a few changes
unrelyable tryining to insert a worksheet name into the formula.

Eduardo wrote:
Hi,

=COUNTIF($a$1:$H$5000,"*Cable*")

if the data is in a different sheet called Data use

=COUNTIF(Data!$a$1:$H$5000,"*Cable*")

change range to fit your needs

I have a workbook where there is nothing consistent or any named ranges. I
need to make a summary sheet and count everytime I have the word cable in the

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
Thanks in advance,
Carrie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm sure there's a way to do it with VBA. I have to think about it. If you
want a quick solution do the following:
Ctrl + F enter 'Cable' into Find What click Options Within Workbook
Find All.

--
Ryan---

Eduardo wrote:
Hi,

=COUNTIF($a$1:$H$5000,"*Cable*")

if the data is in a different sheet called Data use

=COUNTIF(Data!$a$1:$H$5000,"*Cable*")

change range to fit your needs

I have a workbook where there is nothing consistent or any named ranges. I
need to make a summary sheet and count everytime I have the word cable in the

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
Thanks in advance,
Carrie

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't forget to group select sheets that you want to find an expression in -
otherwise will only search in the active sheet.

I note that you want to count the occassions that cable appears -ultimately
I believe you should be standardising the input across all sheets then using
data validation limiting future entry to items on a lookup list. Note that
the list can be on its own sheet and can be referred to as long as it has had
a range name applied to it

--
Ken
"Using Dbase dialects since 82"