Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open Referenced Add In Workbook as Read Only

I have a Quote workbook (.xls) that refrences code in an Add-In workbook
(.xla). Is there a way to have the Add-In workbook automatically open as
Read Only? I saved the Add-In with a password to modify and when the Add-In
is opened the user is asked to enter a password or click Read Only button.
I'd like to skip this dialog box.

By doing this I should be able to overwrite the Add-In workbook to update
"bugs" that I find, without having everyone on the sales team close the
workbooks so I can do updates.

Thanks in Advance!
--
Cheers,
Ryan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If your clients can see the add-in when it opens, then it isn't really an
addin because it would open invisibly behind the scenes and only be available
to the ordinary client through the VBE.
I would suggest that you put something like the following in the 'Quote.xls'
workbook's ThisWorkbook Workbook_Open() module to make your add-in a true
add-in...

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
'Assuming the 'My Add-In' is in the TITLE field
' of the add-in's properties
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Temp\MyAddin.xla"
AddIns("My Add-in").Installed = True

Hope this helps.
If it does, please click the Yes button.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Gary Brown

"Ryan H" wrote:

I have a Quote workbook (.xls) that refrences code in an Add-In workbook
(.xla). Is there a way to have the Add-In workbook automatically open as
Read Only? I saved the Add-In with a password to modify and when the Add-In
is opened the user is asked to enter a password or click Read Only button.
I'd like to skip this dialog box.

By doing this I should be able to overwrite the Add-In workbook to update
"bugs" that I find, without having everyone on the sales team close the
workbooks so I can do updates.

Thanks in Advance!
--
Cheers,
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One way around this problem is to use an automatically reversioning
addin loader.
You can download one from my website and tailor it to your
requirements. The password for the XLA is dm
http://www.decisionmodels.com/downloads.htm

regards
Charles

By doing this I should be able to overwrite the Add-In workbook to update
"bugs" that I find, without having everyone on the sales team close the
workbooks so I can do updates.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My Add-In workbook is an add in. The IsAddIn property is set to True, plus
it has the .xla extension like I mentioned in my earlier post. The problem
is this. I save it with a password to modify. So when my Quote workbook
automatically opens the Add-In (because Quote references the Add-In) a dialog
box opens asking for the password or click Read Only. I don't want the user
to see this dialog. I want the Add-In to open as Read Only automatically. I
need it to open as Read Only because I want to be able to do updates on the
Add-In without requiring all the sales department to close it down and slow
them up.

Any ideas?
--
Cheers,
Ryan

"Ryan H" wrote:

I have a Quote workbook (.xls) that refrences code in an Add-In workbook
(.xla). Is there a way to have the Add-In workbook automatically open as
Read Only? I saved the Add-In with a password to modify and when the Add-In
is opened the user is asked to enter a password or click Read Only button.
I'd like to skip this dialog box.

By doing this I should be able to overwrite the Add-In workbook to update
"bugs" that I find, without having everyone on the sales team close the
workbooks so I can do updates.

Thanks in Advance!
--
Cheers,
Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Works OK for me ... maybe you could try again?