Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default reading data from .xls file

Hi,

My boss "ask" me to prepare so called application, which will be able to
create report about certain data. Some people are working on their files
/.xls/ which consist of lots of data, but I only need to get from those
files only certain data /e.g. name of customer, date, number of order,
quantity/.
I don't want to open their files /using vba/ to copy data because it's too
long /and I don't know when my cooworkers are using their files/. The
question is - is there any method to read /retrieve/ data from that files
without openning them on my computer ?

thank in advance for any help or advice,

Robert Tomaszewski

__________ Informacja programu ESET NOD32 Antivirus, wersja bazy sygnatur wirusow 4928 (20100309) __________

Wiadomosc zostala sprawdzona przez program ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.pl lub http://www.eset.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Robert,

I would look into using MS Access and link to the other users files - you
would be able to query the data in their files and extract the data you want.
If that is not an option, look into using Excel database queries - under the
data menu selection, Select Import External Data, New Database Query to acces
external data.

Blair

.