Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default populate combobox from worksheet in different workbook

Howdee all. Hope everyone's having a good afternoon.

I have a large worksheet with a dataset that I want to populate a combobox
from.
In looking through the reading material, I found that with using the insert
combobox from the developer tab, I could drop my box in place.
In looking further I found that I could then populate the box with data on a
different worksheet.
I then found that I could get this by accessing the properties, and in the
ListFillRange, drop the range of my data.

"In design mode right click the combobox and choose "Properties"
In the ListFillRange enter the range of interest."

In my case however, my data is in my personal.xlsb workbook, on a specific
worksheet. I.e., an external workbook.
I tried writing out the range, as we would for a worksheet function, e.g.
personal.xlsb!ShtNamec4:c50

It's not working. I've tried a few variations, and each time I click
elsewhere, the field's contents is removed.

Is there a way to link a combobox back to a dataset in another workbook, on
a sheet within that book, or does it have to be a dataset within the book the
combobox is placed in?

I see where I can select another column on the same worksheet, but nothing
about how to get another sheet's data, or that of another workbook.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Morning JL.
That's not working either-- same issue. It just disappears when I go to
select the next field.

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ok, got it. Turns out it has to have the single quote marks around the book,
and sheet name. E.g. '[personal.xlsb]ShtName'!$c$4:$c$50

Thank you for your help.
Have a great day.