Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default show column headings

I believe you assign a heading to a column by selecting the column and
entering text ...

.... but my worksheet is in a strange mode where the heading doesn't show up
in the column header cell. Instead, the default "A","B","C" headings
appear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You cannot make manual entries into the default header row where the A, B,
C... automatically appear upon opening a file. You have to use one of the
rows which start with row 1, but you can use any row for a header row if you
do not like row 1. Then just list your other data beneath the headers.
Now, Excel also provides for headers and footers on the printed pages.
Those are handled thro8ugh the Page Setup facility.

"John Grandy" <john.arthur.grandy-at-gmail.com wrote in message
I believe you assign a heading to a column by selecting the column and
entering text ...

... but my worksheet is in a strange mode where the heading doesn't show
up in the column header cell. Instead, the default "A","B","C" headings
appear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But I have a Workbook where the the first 6 column headers have been
replaced with custom text.

I didn't create this Workbook, but someone figured out how to do it.

"JLGWhiz" wrote in message
You cannot make manual entries into the default header row where the A, B,
C... automatically appear upon opening a file. You have to use one of the
rows which start with row 1, but you can use any row for a header row if
you do not like row 1. Then just list your other data beneath the
headers. Now, Excel also provides for headers and footers on the printed
pages. Those are handled thro8ugh the Page Setup facility.

"John Grandy" <john.arthur.grandy-at-gmail.com wrote in message
I believe you assign a heading to a column by selecting the column and
entering text ...

... but my worksheet is in a strange mode where the heading doesn't show
up in the column header cell. Instead, the default "A","B","C" headings
appear.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
excel gives you the option to show or hide the default headers(and row
numbers).
to hide the default header ie A,B,C, etc (and row numbers)...
on the menu bartoolsoptionsview tabuncheck "row & column headers".
you can then use row 1 for custom headers. the default headers are still
there just hidden. excel needs these default headers and row numbers. that is
the way excel keeps track of everything and knows where everything is at.
excel reserved.

Regards
FSt1

"JLGWhiz" wrote in message
You cannot make manual entries into the default header row where the A, B,
C... automatically appear upon opening a file. You have to use one of the
rows which start with row 1, but you can use any row for a header row if
you do not like row 1. Then just list your other data beneath the
headers. Now, Excel also provides for headers and footers on the printed
pages. Those are handled thro8ugh the Page Setup facility.

"John Grandy" <john.arthur.grandy-at-gmail.com wrote in message
I believe you assign a heading to a column by selecting the column and
entering text ...

... but my worksheet is in a strange mode where the heading doesn't show
up in the column header cell. Instead, the default "A","B","C" headings
appear.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks.

But my Workbook still has the row headers column and the column headers
row -- I know because in Excel 2007 I de-select View Headers and the top
row and leftmost column dissapear.

But for my column headers, the "A" , "B" , "C" have been replaced with
custom text.