-   -   Links Based on Cell Values (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/439990-links-based-cell-values.html)

Rob

Links Based on Cell Values

I want to link a cell based on the value of anther cell. A cell contains an
excel file name (in text format) without the ".xls" extension. I need to
have the contents of a range of cell from that file linked to the current
worksheet. Is this possible?

Dave Peterson

Links Based on Cell Values

Not very well...

The function you'd want to use is =indirect().

But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed.

Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at:
http://xcell05.free.fr/
or
http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm

That includes =indirect.ext() that may help you.

===
If you have trouble getting to the site, then search google for indirect.ext.

I found this alternative site:
http://download.cnet.com/Morefunc/30...-10423159.html

I didn't look to see if it was the most current version.

I'd check the original site every so often to see if it's working.

--

Dave Peterson