Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default counting values in a column

I have a spreadsheet that I need to count values in a column. For instance
Column A has the following values 1,15,3,45,1,1,15,20,3,10. I need to create
another worksheet containing the answer as follows:
Column A Column B
1 3
3 2
10 1
15 2
20 1
45 1
Your assistance is greatly appreciated
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know if you want to do it manually or with a macro. I will
explaing the manual method

1) You need to create a list of unique numbers. the advance method
does this nicely but only on the same worksheet. So select the list of
original numbers then from menu Data - Advance Filter select the Unique
button and select copy to another location choose new location and
press OK. Now copy the unique list to the 2nd worksheet.

2) Now you can use the Countif formula to get the quantities.

=countif(Sheet1!A$1:A$1000, A1)

Place formula in column B along side the list of unique numbers. Then
copy the formula down the column on sheet 2.

The formula will count all the values in sheet 1 that matches the
unique numbers in sheet 2.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

Microsoft Office Help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jerry,

You can use the "countif" function for that. The formula for cell B2 would
be:

=countif($a:$a,a2)

When you copy the formula down, a2 will become a3, a4, etc. and the value
you're counting will change accordingly.

Beverly