Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error in formulas

I posted this in General Questions but didnt get a satisfactory answer.

I have a workbook that is used for estimating and manufacturing process
control and has been used for many years. My problems have occurred since I
tried to migrate to Excel 2007. I opened the workbook in 2007 and saved it as
an .xls file compatible with older versions. The size of the file increased
from 3.0mb to 3.6mb. It has numerous formula errors.

I have deleted all data and code except for 2 of the many cells with formula
errors. I have saved this as a workbook. It is now has 516k with only 2 cells
populated. I would like someone to look at this and give me some advice on
what to do. Is this increase of 500K normal? Is this a Microsoft problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello again oldjay,

Dont know if any of the following will help but in the absence of anything
else you might like to try it.

Firstly there are some problems with converting earlier versions of xl
workbooks to xl2007. The main one I found was with enabling macros. I found
that I had to open xl2007 and enable macros with notification and then close
and re-open xl2007. Then open the earlier version workbook and save it as an
Excel Macro enabled workbook. Then close the workbook and re-open it in
xl2007. After that everything seemed to work OK.

However, you said that you were re-saving as an earlier version. If you open
an earlier verion workbook and simply Save, it defaults to the version in
which it was at the time of opening. If you have macros, you should still
enable macros in xl2007 first, close Excel and then re-open it before opening
earlier version workbooks. (Once macros are enabled then don't have to do
that again next time you are opening a workbook with macros.)

With a number of formulas with errors, I would be checking out the Add-Ins
that were being used previously. If you still have access to the computer
with the earlier version of Excel, Select Menu Item Tools - Add-Ins and make
a list of the ones that are checked.

Then in xl2007 select the big Microsoft button. (top left of screen)
Select Excel Options (towards bottom right of dialog box)
Select Add-Ins (left column of dialog box)
Check any boxes that match the Add-ins on the old computer.

If you have not got access to the computer with the earlier version of
Excel, then in xl2007 check the boxes for Analysis ToolPak. It cant do any
harm and there are a lot of useful functions in it.

If the above does not fix any of the errors, then select each of the cells
in turn with the errors and then highlight the formula in the formula bar at
the top and copy the formula. Then press Esc to get out of the formula bar
and then paste the formula into a post here so we can see what functions are
giving the problem. (Dont try to copy every cell with errors; just a
selection of them.)

OssieMac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks to you and Joel I have solved my problems. The problem with the extra
500k was Command buttons out in the middle of nowhere which, of course, are
not deleted when you delete rows and columns.

oldjay