Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to return an error code from a function

Hi,

after some discussions on the ng I decided to keep input data checking
inside my functions. This prompts the problem of how to return an
error code from the function: for example

Function MySqrt(x as Double) As Double
Dim err As Boolean
If x <0 Ihen
err=True
Exit Function
Else
err=False
x = Application.Worksheetfunction.sqrt(x)
End If
End Function

However, err cannot be passed back to the caller! I've read about
different workarounds, and I would like to know your opinion on them,
or just which is your approach:

1. convert the Function to a Sub (easiest, but maybe slower?)
2. pass err ByRef (best?)
3. declare Function As Variant. Variant variables, however, cause a
slowdown of the code, so would this be any faster than 1. ?
4. use global variables (I'd rather not).

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,

Sergio Rossi