Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel return error code

Dear Excel Experts,
Please help!
p.s. Rolling back the patch did not help.
Gary

"Joe Wu [MSFT]" wrote in
message
Dear Gary,

Thank your for your post.

I learned that the problem began to occur after applying

the new MS03-026
security patch. However, I think the current news group

is not the best
one
for this problem. To resolve this problem, you may need

to check the code
which uses the Excel OCX to generate the Excel reports.

Therefore, I
suggest that you post this question in the
microsoft.public.excel.programming news groups, which is

primarily for
issues involving Excel development.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you

will get the most
qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who

read the newsgroups
regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from

your interaction
with us. I hope the problem can be resolved quickly.

Thank you for using our News Group.

Regards,
Joe Wu
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

your newsreader so

confers no
rights.

--------------------
|From: "Gary Lam"
|Sender: "Gary Lam"
|Subject: SQL server failed to call Excel's library

after ms03-026 patch
applied
|Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 01:07:44 -0700
|Newsgroups: microsoft.public.security

microsoft.public.security:30878

|Hello,
|
|We have a SQL2K Ent. on W2K Eng. Adv server. This server
|also has MS-Office97 installed because it needs to run a
|night job and call Excel's library to generate reports

in
|Excel format.
|It failed to do that after the patch been applied. Excel
|returns error message shows "-2147417851 (Method "~" of
|object "~" failed)
|Please help!!
|Gary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gary,

Can you run the Excel application from that box or do you get the same
error? If you can describe the data environment of your application and
what you are doing in Excel in some detail?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Vita
Microsoft Developer Support

Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026?*If not Microsoft strongly advises you to review
the information at the following link regarding Microsoft Security Bulletin
MS03-026 http://www.microsoft.com/security/se...s/ms03-026.asp
and/or to visit Windows Update at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com to
install the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site
will help to insure you are current with all security patches, not just
MS03-026.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gary,

After consulting some more with my collegues, it appears that this may be a
known issue. As a workaround try modifying your code to use late, instead
of early binding.

Example:

Instead of:

Dim oApp as Excel.Application