Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to check programmatically if Excel is installed?

Hello,
What will be the best way to check if Excel is installed and what is the
name of executable?
Is it always excel.exe?
I think some older version had msexcel.exe, but I can be mistaken.
Your thoughts please,
Claire

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claire
By "programmatically" I take it that you mean VBA in Excel. To run any
VBA macro in Excel you must first have to have Excel installed. Or did I
miss something? HTH Otto

"Claire" <replyto@fra wrote in message
Hello,
What will be the best way to check if Excel is installed and what is the
name of executable?
Is it always excel.exe?
I think some older version had msexcel.exe, but I can be mistaken.
Your thoughts please,
Claire

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would try to start it and if it failed to start, then I know it's not
available.

Are you using VBA or VBS or what?

In VBA:

Dim xlApp As Object
On Error Resume Next
Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
If Err.Number < 0 Then
Err.Clear
MsgBox "Not there"
Else
MsgBox "yep, it's there"
xlApp.Close
End If
On Error GoTo 0

VBS is pretty much the same--just drop the "as object" in the Dim statement.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, I missed that.
I am programming in old vbasic (ver.6).
My app needs to check if the Excel (any version) is installed on target
computer.
Claire

"Claire" <replyto@fra wrote in message
Hello,
What will be the best way to check if Excel is installed and what is the
name of executable?
Is it always excel.exe?
I think some older version had msexcel.exe, but I can be mistaken.
Your thoughts please,
Claire

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not asking about code.
I am asking just in general.
Is anybody in this group able to answer at least this question posted
initially
"

Claire wrote:

Sorry, I missed that.
I am programming in old vbasic (ver.6).
My app needs to check if the Excel (any version) is installed on target
computer.
Claire

"Claire" <replyto@fra wrote in message
Hello,
What will be the best way to check if Excel is installed and what is
the
name of executable?
Is it always excel.exe?
I think some older version had msexcel.exe, but I can be mistaken.
Your thoughts please,
Claire

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claire -

Is it always excel.exe? <

I just checked my own computer(s), and the name of the Excel executable is
excel.exe on all six of these:

Excel 97 SR-2
2000 SP3
2002 SP3