Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open file with foxit when adobe reader is default application

Hi,
I'd like to sometimes open pdf files with foxit reader, but want to
keep the default reader Adobe Reader.

At the moment I'm using this code:

Sub OpenPdffile()
Dim FSO
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
strHelpPath = "C:\pdffile.pdf"
If FSO.FileExists(strHelpPath) Then
StartDoc (strHelpPath)

Function StartDoc(DocName As String) As Long
Dim Scr_hDC As Long
Scr_hDC = GetDesktopWindow()
StartDoc = ShellExecute(Scr_hDC, "Open", DocName, _
"", "C:\", SW_SHOWNORMAL)
End Function

Is there anyone able (and willing ;-) ) to help me out?

Poniente

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't have foxit reader on this pc.

But if this is just for you (or for people that have the same exact setup as
you), maybe you can just do something like:

Shell "c:\program files\foxitreaderfolder\foxitreader.exe " & strHelpPath

You could add a check to verify that the reader is where you expect it. If not,
then use the default application.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Dave for taking time to look into this!

When I implement your suggestion, Foxit does open, but the file
unfortunately does not open.

This is basically what I tried:

Function StartDoc(DocName As String) As Long
Shell "c:\program files\foxit software\foxit reader\foxit
reader.exe C:\Download\" & DocName
End Function

When I copy this text in 'run' (start menu), the foxit reader does
load with the file..

Hope there is anyone with a clue how to solve this one!

Poniente

Ponientewrote:

Hi,
I'd like to sometimes open pdf files with foxit reader, but want to
keep the default reader Adobe Reader.

At the moment I'm using this code:

Sub OpenPdffile()
* * Dim FSO
* * Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
* * strHelpPath = "C:\pdffile.pdf"
* * If FSO.FileExists(strHelpPath) Then
* * * * StartDoc (strHelpPath)
* * End If
End Sub

Function StartDoc(DocName As String) As Long
* * Dim Scr_hDC As Long
* * Scr_hDC = GetDesktopWindow()
* * StartDoc = ShellExecute(Scr_hDC, "Open", DocName, _
* * "", "C:\", SW_SHOWNORMAL)
End Function

Is there anyone able (and willing ;-) ) to help me out?

Poniente

--

Dave Peterson- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try quoting your paths

Sub StartDoc(DocName as string)
Const FX_PATH as string = "c:\program files\foxit software\foxit
reader\foxit reader.exe"
Const CMD_TXT as string = """<rdrPath"" ""C:\Download\<docName"""
Dim sCmd as string

sCmd = Replace(CMD_TEXT,"<rdrPath",FX_PATH)
sCmd = Replace(CMD_TEXT,"<docName",DocName)

Shell sCmd
end sub

Tim

Ponientewrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tim,
That did the trick.

many thanks,
Poniente

Ponientewrote:

Hi,
I'd like to sometimes open pdf files with foxit reader, but want to
keep the default reader Adobe Reader.

At the moment I'm using this code:

Sub OpenPdffile()
Dim FSO
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
strHelpPath = "C:\pdffile.pdf"
If FSO.FileExists(strHelpPath) Then
StartDoc (strHelpPath)

Function StartDoc(DocName As String) As Long
Dim Scr_hDC As Long
Scr_hDC = GetDesktopWindow()
StartDoc = ShellExecute(Scr_hDC, "Open", DocName, _
"", "C:\", SW_SHOWNORMAL)
End Function

Is there anyone able (and willing ;-) ) to help me out?

Poniente

--

Dave Peterson- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -