Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to see innards of Excel 2007

Hi,

I was reading a book for Excel VBA by John Walkenbach. It says following
things to do in order to see "relationship files of Excel"

"To view the innards of an Excel 2007 file, you need to open an Explorer
window and add a ZIP extension to the filename. So the sample.xlsm file is
renamed to sample.xlsm.zip. You can then open the file by using any unzipping
program. I use the zip feature built into Windows XP."

Now I am using Windows 7 as OS and I tried to do same thing. Very first
problem I encounter was even though I add extension ".zip" It did nothing.
File icon remained same and didn't even zipped the file so finally I zipped
it using normal zip software.

Books says when you unzip it, you will see different files/folders such as
_rels, docProps and xl. But when I unzipped the file, it didn't bring me any
fortune what all I found in folder is same original file without any other
files.

Can anyone tell me what wrong I am doing or am I missing any step or its
just OS problem. Is there any other way to see those files.

Thanks in advance!

Shashi Rao
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You proably aren't naming the file properly. You probably have the
option set in your window explorer set to hide well known file
extensions so you think you have a ZIP file when you really don,t. go
to window explorer and change the following option

Tool- Folder Options - View - Hide Extensions for known file types
(uncheck)

Then Press button to Apply to All folders. When you look at the
filename you probably will see sometthing like this:

Book1.zip.xls

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229