Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Giving a name to a row or column

I have a spreadsheet that has a bunch of rows of different length.

I am doing a match to find a column I want - which is between my
starting column and an ending column that is big enough to fit my
longest row.

But periodically I insert a new column in the front, making my longest
row longer.

I can solve this problem by making my end row huge. Maybe make it
zz (what's the largest column possible?). But this offends my
sensibilities a bit. What would be better is to somehow assign a
variable name for my column that would be moved right when I add a new
column.

I suppose I could assign a name to the farthest right field and do
some code to find out that column, but that would make my formula
harder to parse.

I also have spreadsheets that I want to fill out row by row. What I
do here is copy the formulae down a hundred rows and then stick a line
under to tell me this is the bottom. When I reach that line, I
extend it another hundred rows. Is there a better way of handling
this?

- James Madison
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Howard,

There is no need to designate the end column, if you are doing a match:

=MATCH("Howard",1:1,False)

will return a number if Howard is found anywhere in row 1.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Howard Brazee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:49:35 -0500, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @
consumer dot org wrote:

There is no need to designate the end column, if you are doing a match:

=MATCH("Howard",1:1,False)

will return a number if Howard is found anywhere in row 1.

And I could put this off to the side somewhere so that I don't
complicate my main formula too much.

- James Madison