Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Auto Re-Numbering in Excel

Ok.. here's the problem.. I'm re-creating a seniority list for my company.. I
need a column to show an employee's 'seniority number'.. (ex, the employee
thats been with our company the longest would be assigned #1.. second longest
#2.. etc..).. the problem is when someone quits or retires I have to manually
change all the seniority numbers beneith them.. is there any way that Excel
can do this automatically for me.. for administrative purposes.. I can
arrange employees by hire date.. however our union wants each employees
seniority number listed

Thanks for any help!
--
Randy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Randy,

Look in Help for the LARGE() function

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Randy" wrote in message
Ok.. here's the problem.. I'm re-creating a seniority list for my
company.. I
need a column to show an employee's 'seniority number'.. (ex, the employee
thats been with our company the longest would be assigned #1.. second
longest

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

This assumes your hire dates are in column A starting in A2. Enter the
formula in row 2 of another column and drag down as required

=IF(A2="","",RANK(A2,$A$1:$A$1000,1))

Mike

"Randy" wrote:

Ok.. here's the problem.. I'm re-creating a seniority list for my company.. I
need a column to show an employee's 'seniority number'.. (ex, the employee
thats been with our company the longest would be assigned #1.. second longest

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You asked this same question on December 31st over in the
microsoft.public.excel.misc newsgroup and received three responses... did
none of those responses work for you?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Randy" wrote in message
Ok.. here's the problem.. I'm re-creating a seniority list for my
company.. I
need a column to show an employee's 'seniority number'.. (ex, the employee
thats been with our company the longest would be assigned #1.. second
longest

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

BonsourĀ® Randy avec ferveur ;o))) vous nous disiez :

Ok.. here's the problem.. I'm re-creating a seniority list for my
company.. I need a column to show an employee's 'seniority number'..
(ex, the employee thats been with our company the longest would be
assigned #1.. second longest #2.. etc..).. the problem is when
someone quits or retires I have to manually change all the seniority
numbers beneith them.. is there any way that Excel can do this
automatically for me.. for administrative purposes.. I can arrange
employees by hire date.. however our union wants each employees
seniority number listed

1 - for hiredate next column, put that formula
=RANK(CurHireDate, HireDatesRange,True)
2 - pull down as wanted

HTH

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That is pretty much the same answer I gave the OP when he first asked this
question over in the microsoft.public.excel newsgroup on December 31st.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Randy" wrote:

Ok.. here's the problem.. I'm re-creating a seniority list for my
company.. I
need a column to show an employee's 'seniority number'.. (ex, the
employee
thats been with our company the longest would be assigned #1.. second
longest

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rick,

I just noticed it's posted 3 times in 'General questions' in the last hour.
I found your post also and see you never got a response. I wonder if we will
this time!!

Mike