Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default New time format

Hi Rick,

That format works fine, but it doesnt work for cases when
the there are more than 24 hours. Some of my time
data examples will be 44:11 (44 hours, 11 minutes) or
even 200:35 (200 hours, 35 minutes).

I guess I'm not really looking for times on a clock,
but rather time durations expressed as hours and minutes only
(with no trailing seconds).

Is there anything else I can do??

thank u

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
Custom format the cell with exactly what you wrote... the seconds will
still be there (because it is a format), they just won't display in the
cell.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Robert Crandal" wrote in message
I want to use Excel's "hh:mm:ss" format in my cells, but I want to
remove the seconds ("ss") part. Is there a way that I can configure
a cell to just display a time format as follows? :

hh:mm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I couldn't fine "[hh]:mm" in the custom format box. However,
I did find the following:

h:mm
[h]:mm:ss

The first format resets to 0 hours if the hours go above 24. I think
the other format does the same (and it also has the seconds appended
which I'm trying to eliminate).

I actually like the format in the "Time" section that is given
as:

"37:30:55"

The only problem is that the seconds are attached at the end. Can I
somehow tell excel not to display the last 3 charcters or hide
the colon and the last two seconds digits??

Thanks Rick

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
You didn't say that originally. Try this format instead...

[hh]:mm

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can add to the patterns in the Custom Format list (that is why it is
called "custom")... just click into the field under the word "Type" and
replace whatever is in there with a valid pattern of your own... such as the
[hh]:mm pattern I posted in my last message.