Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default count number of rows in 2 worksheets

HI,

Anyone can help? I need a macro code to count number of used rows in two
seperate worksheets and compare. If the number do not match error message
shall appear "Sheet1 has (blank) number and Sheet2 has (blank) number".
(blank) being the number of used rows per sheet. Can this be done? thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have some answers in your first posting of this question. However, I'd
like to tell you that your question is not defined very well. You have to
tell us what you mean by "used rows". For example, if there are blank rows
inside your data, are they to be counted or not (in other words, are you
looking for the last cell with data or an actual count of data rows with
blank rows excluded)? What about formulas? If you have formula evaluating to
the empty string (""), is that considered "used" (it has something in it,
but that something is displaying the empty string, so you can't see
anything)?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rachel" wrote in message
HI,

Anyone can help? I need a macro code to count number of used rows in two
seperate worksheets and compare. If the number do not match error message
shall appear "Sheet1 has (blank) number and Sheet2 has (blank) number".
(blank) being the number of used rows per sheet. Can this be done? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rachel,

Sub CompareWorksheets(ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet)
Dim r As Long, c As Integer
Dim lr1 As Long, lr2 As Long, lc1 As Integer, lc2 As Integer
Dim maxR As Long, maxC As Integer, cf1 As String, cf2 As String
Dim rptWB As Workbook, DiffCount As Long
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.StatusBar = "Creating the report..."
Set rptWB = Workbooks.Add
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
While Worksheets.Count 1
Worksheets(2).Delete
Wend
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
With ws1.UsedRange
lr1 = .Rows.Count
lc1 = .Columns.Count
End With
With ws2.UsedRange
lr2 = .Rows.Count
lc2 = .Columns.Count
End With
maxR = lr1
maxC = lc1
If maxR < lr2 Then maxR = lr2
If maxC < lc2 Then maxC = lc2
DiffCount = 0
For c = 1 To maxC
Application.StatusBar = "Comparing cells " & Format(c / maxC, "0 %")
& "..."
For r = 1 To maxR
cf1 = ""
cf2 = ""
On Error Resume Next
cf1 = ws1.Cells(r, c).FormulaLocal
cf2 = ws2.Cells(r, c).FormulaLocal
On Error GoTo 0
If cf1 < cf2 Then
DiffCount = DiffCount + 1
Cells(r, c).Formula = "'" & cf1 & " < " & cf2
End If
Next r
Next c
Application.StatusBar = "Formatting the report..."
With Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(maxR, maxC))
.Interior.ColorIndex = 19
With .Borders(xlEdgeTop)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlHairline
End With
With .Borders(xlEdgeRight)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlHairline
End With
With .Borders(xlEdgeLeft)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlHairline
End With
With .Borders(xlEdgeBottom)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlHairline
End With
On Error Resume Next
With .Borders(xlInsideHorizontal)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlHairline
End With
With .Borders(xlInsideVertical)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlHairline
End With
On Error GoTo 0
End With
Columns("A:IV").ColumnWidth = 20
rptWB.Saved = True
If DiffCount = 0 Then
rptWB.Close False
End If
Set rptWB = Nothing
Application.StatusBar = False
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
MsgBox DiffCount & " cells contain different formulas!", vbInformation, _
"Compare " & ws1.Name & " with " & ws2.Name

Sanjay
Mark "Yes", if the post is helpful