Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Unwanted Calculation

Excel 2003. I am using a VBA procedure to step through a worksheet
from bottom to top with a for-to loop, looking at the cell in column A
for each row. If column A contains different text than the previous
cell in column A, I insert a row about that one with text to indicate
what the numbers in each cell refer to. To speed up the process, I
use Application.Calculation=xlManual before starting the loop. As the
loop runs, Excel flashes "Ready" and "Calculate" in the statusbar.
Since the statusbar says "Calculate", I presume it really is
recalculating the sheet each time it inserts a row, thereby slowing
down my procedure. Is Excel really calculating like I think it is?
And, if so, how can I prevent this? Thanks.