Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Horizontally challenged...

Hi all,

Why can the boss never work in a vertical world?

-"Can you copy, paste & transpose each row in these two worksheets and
then highlight the changes for me?" the boss asks...-

Sheet1 is my baseline, containing approximately 1582 rows of data; 215
columns. Sheet2 is a newer version, 2 months later.

-"I will need you to do this every two months" the boss goes on,
ignoring the evil eye i directed her way.-

I've said my prayers, rubbed my magic eight ball, and am checking with
the experts here to see if this can be done with VBA, looping through
the rows and comparing data to see where updates have occurred, hoping
that I don't end up in copy/paste/cond-form purgatory...

In order for each row to be considered for compare between the
worksheets, the values in the A, B, C, D & H cells will need to be an
exact match (they will be unique values and will occur within both
worksheets).

Once a row from the baseline identifies a match row, I would like to
have the cell background formatted in pink.

Example, row 2 from Sheet2 "matches" row 1321 of Sheet1 (based on the
above matching logic), and the data in AB2, AD2, BR2, CI2 & CX2 has
changed on Sheet2 from the data as found in Sheet1.

Thank you for your time ~

--
Trixie

~TRIXIE
Trixie's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=438
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=148967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can use a conditional format in sheet 2 to match sheet 1

Put this into the conditional formating in sheet2!A2
=Sheet1!A1321=A2

Now once you setup the conditional formating in sheet 2 you can copy
the cells from sheet 1 without destroying the conditional formating by
copy and pastespecial using both values, and Transpose

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:G7").Copy
Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A2").PasteSpecial _
Paste:=xlPasteFormats, _
Transpose:=True

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Will this also work if it the match is any other row between the new
version to the baseline?

The rows I indicated were just an example....row 35 could actually be
the match for row 1321...

Thanks~

joel;541612 Wrote:
You can use a conditional format in sheet 2 to match sheet 1

Put this into the conditional formating in sheet2!A2
=Sheet1!A1321=A2

Now once you setup the conditional formating in sheet 2 you can copy
the cells from sheet 1 without destroying the conditional formating by
copy and pastespecial using both values, and Transpose

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:G7").Copy
Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A2").PasteSpecial _
Paste:=xlPasteFormats, _
Transpose:=True

--
Trixie

~TRIXIE
Trixie's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=438
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=148967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Your original instructions inplied that the there was the same amount of
data in the previous weeks and new week and the old and new table was in
the same Ranges. If so you can put the conditionl formating in the
first cell on sheet 2. Then copy the conditional formating to the other
cells by copy the cell with the conditional formating, select all the
cells on sheet 2 that need to be compared, then use PasteSpecial using
FORMAT only to paste the conditional formating to all the cells.

If the sizes of the data and the locations change each week then I need
more information. I need some indication where the compare data (both
sheet 1 & 2) is located and the number of rows and columns to copy.

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=148967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Trixie, to further aid your question and Joel
*Why not add a workbook?*
Providing a workbook will not only get you your answer quicker but will
better illustrate your problem, usually when we can see your data (-it
can be dummy data but must be of the same type-) and your structure it
is far easier for us to give you a tailored, workable answer to your
query :)

Attachments.

To upload a workbook, click reply then add your few words, scroll down
past the submit button and you will see the Manage Attachments button,
this is where you get to add files for upload, if you have any trouble
please use this link or the one at the bottom of the
any page.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
'Microsoft Office Help' (http://www.thecodecage.com)
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=148967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

And to follow up Barb's message...

Workbooks can be posted on the Internet for downloading by other. Here are
some free posting websites where you can do this from...

http://www.mediafire.com/
http://www.freefilehosting.net/
http://savefile.com/

--

[...]