Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Sam Sam is offline

Default Is it possible to hide a workbook while pulling data from it

Hi All,

I know we have to open a workbook if we want to update it, but do we need to
open it even if we want to pull information from it? If yes.. Is there a way
to keep it hidden?
Is there a way to keep the workbook hidden while we update it or are pulling
data from it(to populate form fields in different workbook)?

Hope I am clear with my requirements

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I bet if you use:

application.screenupdating = false
'open the sending workbook
'a bunch of code here
'close the sending workbook
application.screenupdating = true

You and your users would never know that it was being opened, inspected, and
closed.

=======

You could add formulas to empty cells to retrieve values from your sending
workbook.

=======

John Walkenbach has a routine that can get values from a closed workbook:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/eee/eee009.txt
Look for either: GetDataFromClosedFile or GetValue.

--

Dave Peterson