Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Referencing

Is there a function that I can use in the conditional formatting that will
reference the cells in another column and return a yes answer if within a set
% limit?

More clarification: If A3 shows 5 and B3 shows 5.1, then A3 will be
highlighted. But if A3 shows 5 and B3 shows 10 then A3 will remain
unhighlighted.

I would like this to be done for each row.

Can this be done in conditional formatting?
--
Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, you can do this with CF. You can use a an empty cell to play with CF
formulas until you get consistent TRUE/FALSE answers when copied down your
sample data. This way you know it will work when put into CF since all CF
formulas are TRUE/FALSE formulas.

You didn't specify the percentage you wanted to tolerate, so I picked 10%.

In C3 put this formula and copy down:
=(MAX($A3,$B3)/MIN($A3,$B3))<1.1

If you're happy with the results, then highlight A3:B500 (or however far
down you're going, don't use the whole column...bad habit.) and use that CF
formula. It will adjust itself for the other rows.
--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
(www.MadRocketScientist.com)

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"Doug" wrote:

Is there a function that I can use in the conditional formatting that will
reference the cells in another column and return a yes answer if within a set
% limit?

More clarification: If A3 shows 5 and B3 shows 5.1, then A3 will be
highlighted. But if A3 shows 5 and B3 shows 10 then A3 will remain
unhighlighted.

I would like this to be done for each row.

Can this be done in conditional formatting?
--
Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just one problem. It highlights all the blank cells also. I only want it to
highlight cells that I have something typed into column a. All of column b
has data, but only a few in column A have data.
--
Thank you!