Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default please answer me, i need your helps!!!

i need to produce a table in excel to do this with out me expanding it, what
i mean is i only have the first two colums and then it shoul dexpand it self
programically!!

these are the conditions that my table sshould have:
1. the first row of the table should be the time intervals (I have already
defined my time interval increment, eg: dt=0.25 year)and the first colume
should start from time zero and the final time that I need to have calcuation
is 1.5 year.
so the first row look like this,
time(year) 0 0.25 0.5 0.75 1 1.25 1.5

but the thing here is that i can drag the equation and it will be fine but I
should just have the first and second colume values and be able to expand it
self to 1.5 yr and after that stop,(depending on final time)

2.my second row should be my load increaments, but this also varies( in my
spread sheet I have defined, no change in load with zero, constant change
with one and abrupt change with 2. but I might have a constant change from 0
kpa to 40kpa from time interval of 0 to 0.5 yr, then at o.5 yr I have a
abrupt change of load and the load increase by 20 and then stay at 60kpa
untill 1.5yr.
how I can programm this?

3.then my third row is when z=0 (z refere to my soil depth, so when is zero
it means on the surface)
and the condition here is that when at time zero I apply a load of 0kpa or
40Kpa (what ever the value is then the value that it should put underneath
t=0 and infront of z=0 should be equal to that load). if the load change
constanlty or not changing the values in row 3, infront of the z=0 for other
time intervals should also be zero. the only case that it is not is when we
have a abrupt change at a time interval, in this case i need to say that do
two calcuation at this time, once the value should be before abrupt change
and once at the time time interval calculation with abrupt change .
eg: time(year) 0 0.25 0.5 0.75 1 1.25 1.5
q(load, kpa) 40 40 40 40:60 60 60 60
z=0 40 0 0 0: 20 0 0 0

4. then I have defined that how many layers of soil I have, but I dont know
how i should apply it here so that for instance, I have four layers +my z=0
layer, I only did layer one how it could continue down four other rows and
apply the "formula" to calculate the space between, like this

time(year) 0 0.25 0.5 0.75 1 1.25 1.5
q(load, kpa) 40 40 40 40:60 60 60 60
z=0 40 0 0 0: 20 0 0 0
z=1 use this formual here and do all calculation for the sapces
available
z=2
z=3
z=4do down like this and stop after it reaches the value that i have
already defined.

sorry i know its a long question but i would appriciate if you help me out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

1) please. The subject should indicate the type of problem, This is a help
group, so "please help" tells us nothing.

2) we like simple questions. your sounds like a project and thats a
deterrent ;)
However. Is seems that you will ennter the data for rows 1 and two, then you
need
rows 3 to nn added for each value of z from 0 to nn incrementing by 1

this may get you started. Open the VBA editor (ALT+F11), then add a new
module (INSERT/MODULE) and paste this code:

Option Explicit
Sub Main()
Dim rw As Long ' for rows
Dim cl As Long ' for columns
Dim nn_max As Long 'nn - highest Z value
Dim sFormula As String
sFormula = "=R1C * R2C*rand()"
nn_max = InputBox("Enter Value for max z", , 0)

With Range(Range("B3"), Range("A1").End(xlToRight).Offset(2)).Resize(nn_ma x
+ 1)
.FormulaR1C1 = sFormula
End With
With Range("A3").Resize(nn_max + 1)
.Formula = "=""Z="" & Row()-3"
End With

For rw = 3 To nn_max + 3
Cells(rw, 1) = "z=" & rw - 3
For cl = 2 To Range("A1").End(xlToRight).Column
Cells(rw, cl).Formula = sFormula
Next
Next
End Sub

"sanaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi patrick,
i am really sorry, ive never used this discussion board before!!
and the thing is that, yesterday that I sent that question I thought it did
not go through because it wasnt on my profile, then i thought maybe it is
because it was so long, any way thats why I just ask shorter question?1

now that you said I checked your answer, thank you so much for that, but the
thing is that I dont have visual basic so is there any way that I could just
either use statements such as if ,... or use the macro which is with matlab.

and you are right this is a project, and i know very little about excel
thats why i am in panic state because its due friday and i havnt done much:(

any way patrick, as i said i am sorry but i am really looking forward to
hear from you because you seem that you know what I should do, if you have
time I could send you my spread sheet so that you know how much I ve done and
help me so that i could do more

Kind Regards
sanaz

"sanaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK. I have no idea what the MatLab macro is.

so
Q1 Are you entering data in row 1 and row 2?
Q2 what is the likely maximum value of z, if there is one
Q3 What formula would you put in B3?
Q4 Is the formula the same for C3, D3, B4 etc etc ie the whole grid?

"sanaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You do have VB... it is built into Excel... and Patrick told you how to get
into it when he said "Open the VBA editor (ALT+F11), then add a new module
(INSERT/MODULE) and paste this code". See the ALT-F11 part? That means from
any worksheet in Excel, hold down the ALT key and then push the F11 key
(then release them both). The INSERT/MODULE part means find INSERT on the
menu bar (once you are in the VB editor) and click it, then when its
sub-menu opens, click the MODULE entry in that. Next, copy/paste the code
that Patrick posted into the code window that opened up when you clicked the
INSERT/MODULE menu entry.

If Patrick's code does what you want, then great; but if it doesn't, then
you will need to supply a clearer description of what you want. When doing
so, you should keep in mind that no one here knows what your business model
is nor what its requirements are, so you have to tell us in enough detail so
that we can understand them. Also, instead of relying solely on a written
description, show us examples of your various conditions and examples of
what you want to produce from them so that we can see what your verbal
description is talking about.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"sanaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm guessing it is a strip mining operation and the OP is trying to project
the amount of soil to be removed over a certain time period, or track the
removal over a time period.

"sanaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The key words in your message being "I'm guessing". If the OP follows my
advice in future questions, or in a follow up to this thread, there will be
no need for any of us to use those words.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"sanaz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Agreed. And it does sound like course work as suggested in the later thread.
As stated, the best way to learn is to doe the work rather than get somebody
else to do it. Hence, I'm dropping out.