Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Close file when inactive for 10 minutes.

Hi Dave. Could you explain to me how to record this to a text file?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If I were a user of this workbook, I'd be worried--even if I'm not the offender.

If you save that workbook that hasn't been touched in 10 minutes, how do you
know what you're saving?

If that user did something very bad (destroying lots of data or deleting lots of
sheets--either by mistake or on purpose (wanting to save it as a new name)),
then doesn't saving it just make matters worse?

And if you think you can close without saving, I'd hate to be the user who made
an hours worth of intricate changes only to lose them because I got a phone
call.

Heck, I'd hate to be the developer of that ontime procedure when the user
complains that he or she didn't do the damage--the developer did.

Personally, I think that this is a training issue. You have to get the users on
board to make changes and get out.

Even better would be to use a different application--one that supports multiple
concurrent users (Access or any real database program????).

That said, I used to have the same problem. Instead of closing the file
automatically, I'd write a record to a text file on a server that was open to
everyone (but no one knew about!) whenever any opened the workbook or closed it.

Then I'd just open that text file (readonly mode!) to see the last person to
open without closing.

Alberta Rose wrote:

At times someone in our office has a certain file open to which others
need access. If the person hasn't made changes in 10 minutes, I'd like the
file to save and close automatically after this time period. I've tried a
couple of suggestions on this site, but not working. Any help?

--

Dave Peterson