Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there a way to draw a vertical line from a point on the chart line to the bottom of the chart

If you build a line chart connected to a bunch of x/y values
Is there a way to draw a vertical line from a point on the chart line to the
bottom of the chart?

Do you need to layer another chart on top?
Can you add the vertical line right on the same chart?

thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there a way to draw a vertical line from a point on the chart l

I don't have access to my code that does this. It is at work and I'm not
planning to be back in my office for at least a week.

My code found the the chart area (left, top, width height) in pixels. I
then scaled the x-axis to find the point where to drop the line,

If your x-axis goes from 200 to 300 and you want to drop a line at 225 then

the x pixel is the following

left + [(225 - 200)/(300-200)]*width

Your Y length of the line you have to rememer to multiply by -1. The sceen
pixels start at (0,0) which is the upper left corner of the window. Positive
x dimension goes from left to right. Positive Y direction goes from top of
the screen to bottom of the screen. The graph (0,0) is in the bottom left
corner of the screen. So the height of the graph is in the opposite
direction from the pixel coordinates.

Good luck. I have a macro that drops 3 lines on each graph where the time
scale of the x-axis is different for each graph. I even made each vertical
line a different color. I had excel automatically generate the graph and
then changed the dimensions of the x-axis using a macro. Finally after the
graph was scaled to to my requirements I dropped the 3 lines a specific
locations.

"greg" wrote:

If you build a line chart connected to a bunch of x/y values
Is there a way to draw a vertical line from a point on the chart line to the
bottom of the chart?

Do you need to layer another chart on top?
Can you add the vertical line right on the same chart?

thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Maybe this?
http://www.savefile.com/files/2154000

HTH,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---

"greg" wrote:

If you build a line chart connected to a bunch of x/y values
Is there a way to draw a vertical line from a point on the chart line to the
bottom of the chart?

Do you need to layer another chart on top?
Can you add the vertical line right on the same chart?

thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is there a way to draw a vertical line from a point on the cha

This is a great resource for Excel charts:
http://www.andypope.info/charts.htm

These are great too:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/

"greg" wrote:

If you build a line chart connected to a bunch of x/y values
Is there a way to draw a vertical line from a point on the chart line to the
bottom of the chart?

Do you need to layer another chart on top?
Can you add the vertical line right on the same chart?

thanks for any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Greg

This may be overly simplistic but I thought to put lines vertically
from the points on your line chart to the floor of the chart you do
the following.

Highlight the line in your Line chart - Right click - Format Data
Series - Options - Drop Lines

Hope this helps.

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am looking at this y error bars.
can you have different colored error lines? or are you stuck with one color
for all error lines?
thanks