Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Any ideas

I have users entering data onto a page, at the end of the page, the page is
password protected to prevent changes. The file needs to be with the user to
view data.

Being a real paranoid ! I want to be able to detect if someone has altered
the data by hacking the password for example.

What i want to do is at the bottom of the page print a certain value which
is directly dependent on the data on the page. E.g No of Characters, No of
vowles, No of bytes of data or something else (unknown to the user), So if
someone was to manipulate the data it can be detected by cross checking
against this value.

Hope i make sense.

Any Sherlock Holmes out there

Sunil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I may be missing something here but if the users enter data legally by some
method then how would a checksum (or whatever) help? I think you need to
explain how users enter data legally into a protected sheet.

Mike

"sunilpatel" wrote:

I have users entering data onto a page, at the end of the page, the page is
password protected to prevent changes. The file needs to be with the user to
view data.

Being a real paranoid ! I want to be able to detect if someone has altered
the data by hacking the password for example.

What i want to do is at the bottom of the page print a certain value which
is directly dependent on the data on the page. E.g No of Characters, No of
vowles, No of bytes of data or something else (unknown to the user), So if
someone was to manipulate the data it can be detected by cross checking
against this value.

Hope i make sense.

Any Sherlock Holmes out there

Sunil

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

they enter data via another sheet upto the end of the page, at which point
the page needs to be 'locked' and never altered. Data is the entered into
another sheet.

What is a ckecksum?

Sunil

"sunilpatel" wrote:

[...]

any ideas? rosysnozzy Excel Programming 7 May 17th 07 01:55 PM
Ant ideas? Tompy[_2_] Excel Programming 0 September 26th 04 12:06 PM
Ant ideas? Tompy Excel Programming 1 September 26th 04 02:55 AM
Any ideas? Steph[_3_] Excel Programming 0 May 25th 04 07:48 PM