Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Iterate upon opening - DA

I have received an EXCEL file and, whenever I open it, it changes the
calculation mode into iterate, even though it has no need for such.
Regardless of whether there is a need or not, I am having trouble
locating the source of this action, which I'd like to defeat. There
seem to be no "do this upon opening" macros listed anywhere, in fact
no macros at all. The This workbook tab is empty and there is only
one oter item listed: Sheet1(summary). Can someone list the places
such a macro could be hiding? Or any other way this could be
happening?

Here's some clues, maybe: On Sheet1(summary) in VBE, I notice that
"enable calcualtion" is set to True. If I change it to false, resave
the file, and reopen, the problem goes away, although I notice that
the enable calculation is back to True again (maybe it's a toggle).
Though that does seem to fix the file, I'd still like to know how it
got set to iterate to start!

This does not happen with my other files.

Thanks much for any help
Dean
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Look in ToolsOptionsCalculation and see if the Automatic is checked. If
it is, then you probably have something in the worksheet that changes when
the sheet is activated, like a date, that triggers the calculation.
You can check the Manual box to turn it off, but will have to remember to
turn it back on when you change data on the sheet.

"DA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you switched Iteration OFF in Tools--Options--Calculation and then
saved the workbook?

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"DA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

That does seem to fix it permanently, as I may have already
mentioned. Still, I would like to know where such a reset upon
opening (of the original file) can be hidden, so as to do what the
original file (without resaving) does.

I guess I should just get over it!

Thanks
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Iteration property is an Application level setting that is stored with
the workbook on save and set from the first workbook opened during an Excel
session.
Its not hidden, it is in the open.

See http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretse.htm for details

Charles