-   -   balance sheet problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/429546-balance-sheet-problem.html)

nospam

balance sheet problem

Hi,

I am trying to set up a spreadsheet to show my bank account balance

I want the 3 number columns to be

credit (D column) debit (E column) balance (F column)

now I have it working but...

if I
don't have a value in a debit column it displays #value in the balance
column.

So

I amend the cell formula as follows

=IF(E5="","",F4-E5+D5)

(IF debit column is empty THEN display blank ELSE display calculation
result)

but this only checks one column, the debit column

if I have a value in the credit column but leave the debit column empty
I get the #value error message.

I have put a zero in the debit column as a work-around but I would like
to fix it more elegantly

I tried using the OR function but that didn't work as one of the columns
always has a value

any help would be appreciated.

--
Nospam

A possible solution

balance sheet problem

There is something strange going on in your Excel application. The only time
you should get #VALUE in a calculated cell is if any of the cells you include
in the formula contains a STRING (which could be something 'invisible', i.e.
either " " or ') as opposed being an EMPTY CELL (i.e. nothing in it). You
might want to take a closer look at what's actually in your cells when they
LOOK empty before you spend too much time looking for work-arounds.

Good luck,
Rolf