Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is this right?

Can't quite believe this... suspect something wrong here but maybe
someone could confim?

Select a Column and Hit Control-F

The Find What: search criteria is FT~SU

Excel reports:

Microsoft Excel cannot find the data you're searching for. Check your
search options, location and formatting.

I'm searching With Sheet and By Row and have tried all 3 LookIn
options, and with all comnbinations of the Match boxes.

The string is present and correct, I even copied it from the cell and
pasted directly into 'Find What:'.

Very perplexing! Should this work? I can find other things OK.

Thanks - Kirk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use this to search with... FT~~SU

Why? Because the tilde (~) has special meaning to the Find function... it
means "use the next character exactly as is" (needed to be able to search
for wildcard characters that are not being used as wildcards), so to take
away ITS special meaning, you precede the tilde with a tilde.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"kirkm" wrote in message ...

Can't quite believe this... suspect something wrong here but maybe
someone could confim?

Select a Column and Hit Control-F

The Find What: search criteria is FT~SU

Excel reports:

Microsoft Excel cannot find the data you're searching for. Check your
search options, location and formatting.

I'm searching With Sheet and By Row and have tried all 3 LookIn
options, and with all comnbinations of the Match boxes.

The string is present and correct, I even copied it from the cell and
pasted directly into 'Find What:'.

Very perplexing! Should this work? I can find other things OK.

Thanks - Kirk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tue, 26 May 2009 03:27:16 -0400, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:

Use this to search with... FT~~SU

Thanks very much Rick - nicely explained :)

Cheers - Kirk